Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Taylor 29 posts 69 karma points
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 16:35
    Craig Taylor

Automatically add tabs to document type based on nodes

I'm interested in the possibility of automatically adding tabs with properties to a document type based on content nodes.

Let me give an example to illustrate my question:

I have a series of "Environment" nodes under an "Environments Folder" node.  These environments reference our server environments. (so something like dev, stage, prod)  Each "Environment" document type has a tab for each environment.  Using this system, I would be able to control specific envioronmental variables.  For example, the dev site should show 'x' image, the stage site should show 'x2' image and the prod site should show 'x3' image.  Using this system would allow the code to pull the image based on the current environment and I wouldn't have to worry about ensuring that web.config settings are updated or that the correct image is selected in the specific environment when code pushes are made.

I'd like it if adding a new environment under the "Environments Folder" would automatically add a tab with the same name for existing "Environment" nodes.  Likewise, I guess I would have to have a single master 'environment tab document type' where the user would add their properties to appear on all tabs.  When that document type is saved, it would need to update any existing tabs in the "Environment" nodes.

I assume this would be all custom code, but it should be possible, right?  Once I get this up and running, I'll package it up for use.

• Craig Taylor 29 posts 69 karma points
    Mar 31, 2011 @ 21:57
    Craig Taylor

Well, this probably isn't an issue any longer.  I think I was trying to get too difficult with this.  After speaking with a co-worker, I think we've come up with a much simpler solution that doesn't require the dynamic addition of tabs.  I'll work on it some more and put it out there in case anyone else finds it useful.

-Craig

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft