Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lars Mortensen 90 posts 98 karma points
    Mar 15, 2011 @ 11:58
    Lars Mortensen

Top level, not Frontpage

Hi

I'm in the process of setting up a new website.

In my previous setup's I have create a Document type called Layout which will be the top of the site, and frontpage.

Is it possible to change so the top of my tree still is layout, but not the frontpage, but instead it chooses the first childnode as frontpage?

It should still be possible to set general design specific things at the top level, but not any "Content"

Hope you can follow my drift.

Regards Lars

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 15, 2011 @ 12:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lars

I think I catch your drift but I'm wondering why you just don't make the Layout node as a rootnode so it's on the same level as the website itself? I think that will make much more sense from a user perspective.

What are your thoughts about doing it this way?

/Jan

Mar 15, 2011 @ 13:08
    Lars Mortensen

Hi

Thank you for the answer, I want to have the layout node as root node, but no content.

On my running sites, the root node is also the frontpage, which means that if the user wants to change some of the text on the frontpage, they have to choose the root node to change the text. To visualize it a bit:

-Rootnode (The page shown when going to www.domain.tld / Frontpage content / Overall design)
    ----About me (Childenode/menu item, with some text about me)

What I would like is that it look like:

-Rootnode(Overall design)
    ----Frontpage (The page shown when going to www.domain.tld / Frontpage content)
    ----About me (Childenode/menu item, with some text about me)

/Lars

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 15, 2011 @ 22:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lars

Could you perhaps post a screendump of the setup in your content section? I think I get what you're saying but just to be 100% sure...?

I'm not sure it's the best way for you to set this up.

What you could do is to add the umbracoRedirect property to you layout document type, which you can read more about here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracoredirect

On your layout type you then just make it redirect to the node below it instead.

If you're editing your XSLT files through Umbraco you should be aware that you now can't save them though because there is a bug with the umbracoRedirect being used on the top level nodes...(must admit I don't know if this has been fixed in some of the latest releases but in versions before 4.5 this is the case).

If you edit XSLT files outside of Umbraco then it does not matter to much.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 16, 2011 @ 10:42
    Lars Mortensen

Hi

I would gladly make some screen shots, but I don't think it's necessary, as I believe that you are right on the spot.

I unfortunately just can't figure out how to use the umbracoredirect :(

I'm pretty sure I haven't got i right, but I understand the link you sent like this

If the Property is correct what should I do with the Property?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft