Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 19:38
    Anthony

Homepage on Mult-site installation using wrong Template

I have a single Umbraco installation (v 4.6.1) and I am wanting to run two websites. My structure looks like so…

Content
                    -- Site1 Homepage
                                    -- Page1.1
                                    -- Page1.2
                                    --etc

-- Site2 Homepage
                                    --Page2.1
                                    --Page2.2

I have the set multiple domains on (Site1 Homepage and Site2 Homepage). The HTTP Header s on IIS have been configured. Both homepages use a different template. When I go to Site1 the homepage loads correctly. However, when I go to the homepage for Site2, it insists on using the template for Site1. I have changed the template on Site1 to verify this. No matter what template I use for Site1, Site2 uses it. Page2.1 and Page2.2 use the correct template for Site2 it is just the Site2 Homepage that will not load correctly.

Does anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong? I have searched the forums but have not come up with an answer.

• Ernst Utvik 123 posts 235 karma points
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 20:21
    Ernst Utvik

Have had similar issues when both homepages is located directly under Content.

Try adding a property to the Homepage doctype with the alias:umbracoUrlName, doctype: textstring. This took care of it for me. The data in the umbracoUrlName property becomes your url (www.yourpage.com/umbracoUrlName).

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 20:22
    Chris Houston

Hi,

Have you right clicked the Site level nodes and then clicked "Manage Hostnames" each top level domain needs to be associated with it's site.

Also make sure you do a re-publish at the top level node and check in the properties tab of your site nodes to ensure they are correct.

Best regards,

Chris

Feb 06, 2011 @ 20:26
    Chris Houston

Hi again,

I would also recommend that you have the following structure:

Content
    -- Site
    ---- Homepage
    ---- Section 1
    ------ Sub Page 1
    ------ Sub Page 2
    ---- Section 2

Etc..

That way you can define properties that are site wide on the site level node ( this is not an actual page, it's just a document type that is used to store site level settings )

Cheers,

Chris

• Anthony 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 21:08
    Anthony

Thanks for the quick replies.

I first added the property umbracoUrlName to the templates for each of my homepages. Populated those properties with their respective names www.site1.com and www.site2.com. Republished site, then I tried to load each home page but I had the same results.

After this I resturcuted my site as Chris suggested. I created a node named "Sites" and moved both of Site1 and Site2 underneath.

My Content Tree looked like this...

Content
    -- Sites
    ---- Site1 Homepage
    ------ Page 1
    ------ Page 2
    ---- Site2 Homepage
    ------ Page 1
    ------ Page 1

Republished the entire site. When I went to load the websites I noticed that no matter which address i keyed in it was trying to use the template associated with my new node "Sites". I then moved Site2 to the top of my tree underneath Content. After doing so, each site then used the template associated with Site2.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I really didn't expect to get a response so soon.

Feb 06, 2011 @ 21:17
    Chris Houston

Hi Anthony,

It's a little difficult to tell what is wrong without seeing your setup as you can imagine debugging blind is not always easy :)

It looks like you did not understand the structure I suggested, I was suggesting that you had a top level "site" node for each of your sites, however in the structure you just mentioned you only have a single "sites" node.

Hopefully you understand that the document type associated with the site node does not need to have any templates associated with it.

You also need to make sure you do the following:

1) Right click each of your homepage nodes and setup their "Managed Hostname"
    2) Configure IIS as you previously mentioned
    3) Configure your hosts file as I mentioned above

It looks like you have not setup the "Managed Hostnames" so each of your sites is just looking at the top level node.

Best regards,

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft