Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pikej 27 posts 47 karma points
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 21:54
    pikej

SiteMapPath with umbraco

hello there,

I would like to add SiteMapPath at the top of my website so the users know where they are. I am pretty new to umbraco and do not know how to do it. Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 22:44
    Rich Green

Hi,

I think you might need to explain what you are trying to do a little more clearly.

Are you trying to :

Rich

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Dec 21, 2010 @ 01:43
    Kim Andersen

Hi pikej

For me it sounds like you are trying to create a so called breadcrumb, like the third option Rich mentioned above.

You can actually create this pretty easy in Umbraco, because there's a default XSLT template build for this.

You need to go to the Developer section and right click the XSLT-folder in the bottom of the tree. Then you choose to create a new one. Give the new file a name (let's call it Breadcrumb), and then in the second field in the dialog window, you can choose to use the XSLT template called Breadcrumb. When you click the create button, you'll now have a XSLT file and a macro if you didn't uncheck the "create macro"-checkbox - which you didn't, right? ;)

To use this macro, you simply go to the Settings section, and finds the template where you want to insert the breadcrumb. This is often in the Master template, but you can put it where ever you like. Just click the "insert macro"-button in the top, and select the newly created macro called Breadcrumb. Now your should have a working breadcrumb for your site.

Hope this was what you where looking for :)

/Kim A

Dec 21, 2010 @ 15:57
    pikej

hello guys, thanks a lot for your help.

yes, I meant breadcrumb exactly like Kim wrote. I followed the instruction and it is there. Now it's just the matter to style it with css and they are ready. Umbraco rules!

thanks again for support.

all the best

Dec 21, 2010 @ 16:21
    Kim Andersen

Great pikej

Yes you are right, Umbraco rules!

You can try to play around with the other default XSLT templates that's build into Umbraco. It gives you a good idea on how to use XSLT in Umbraco, and you can easily and fast create stuff like main navigation, sub navigation, Sitemaps etc. If you can mark an answer in this post as the solution, it would be great, so that other users can see that it's no longer an open question.

Take care.

/Kim A

Dec 21, 2010 @ 19:37
    pikej

hi again Kim, I do not know how, when I click to rate your answer it says my karma is too low :(

regards,

pikej

Dec 21, 2010 @ 19:53
    Kim Andersen

Ahh that happens when you try to give a "High five!"(give this to people you think gave a good answer), you can't do that before you have 70 karma points. But when you are the author of a topic, you can see a small "correct"-icon (don't know what it's called in english :P) under each answer besides your own. It's green and is located below the name of the author if I remember correct :) This button is used to mark an answer as the solution to your question(s). You see it?

/Kim A

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 21, 2010 @ 19:59
    Rich Green

hey Kim, it's called a 'tick' :) 

don't go asking me any Danish.... 

Dec 21, 2010 @ 20:07
    Kim Andersen

Ahh good to know Rich :D

Maybe I should just have spelled the danish version of the word (it's 'flueben' in danish) correctly in Google translate, but nevermind :)

/Kim A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft