Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michiel (NSC) 95 posts 115 karma points
    Dec 12, 2010 @ 14:14
    Michiel (NSC)

Can I create a template with multiple areas for widgets?

We have requirements for a CMS that allows users to place widgets as they want into a sidebar or other pre-defined widget area.

Each widget should be able to render whatever is needed, it could be external content (from Twitter) or content coming from the site itself (like the latest 3 news articles). And the user should be able to configure each widget based on a predefined content model (the Twitter widget would need the Twitter account name, the recent news widget could have a field for maximum number of content items to display).

I have extensive experience with Kentico CMS, where this is possible using a concept they call webparts. Is Umbraco capable of the same? 

Thanks!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 12, 2010 @ 15:43
    Rich Green

Hey,

Yes it's something we do on most of our sites.

Hendy has a blog post that describes it here http://blog.hendyracher.co.uk/sidebar-widgets-with-umbraco-v4/

Rich 

Dec 13, 2010 @ 09:36
    Michiel (NSC)

Thanks for the link, very informative. But I don't think it fits our requirements, because the chosen template should determine the widget area(s). Using the approach above would mean that you need to extend multiple document types with a field for choosing widgets, and that that field still does not correlate to the template in any way. So if a document type could use multiple templates, each with different widget areas, then that document type should have fields for all these possible widget areas, with no way for the editor to determine which are is used by the chosen template (except by trial and error).

I have some experience using Kentico, in that system the document type can define fields and the template can offer extra (non-structured) content areas. I don't think something like that is possible with Umbraco?

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Dec 13, 2010 @ 10:14
    Rik Helsen

You might want to have a look at the "Macro Container", you can add a few of them to create zones and then choose macro's and their sorting order on a page basis.

http://umbraco.org/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/datatypes/using-the-macro-container-datatype

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/10394-Rendering-Macro-Container

Kind regards,

Rik

Dec 13, 2010 @ 14:28
    Michiel (NSC)

Ok, great! I will try that option then to see if it has enough 'visibility' for end users.

Best option would be a drag and drop interface on the page itself, so if you know any components/projects (may be commercial) that allow us to do that, then please share!

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft