Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frank Beerens 10 posts 30 karma points
    Nov 25, 2010 @ 20:26
    Frank Beerens

how to have many richt text editors

Hi on my new webpage for my company http://test.soft-solutions.nl/umbraco there is a column on the right site with many (5 or so) items. Each item is seperate, how can i do this ?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 25, 2010 @ 20:46
    Hendy Racher

Hi Frank,

There are a number of ways you could do this, but it looks to me that those content areas are teasers to other pages ? if so then the best approach might be to pull in the data from a summary field on each of respective pages (via an XSLT macro). This way you're not hard coding a number of input fields, and the data is associated with the page.

HTH,

Hendy

Nov 25, 2010 @ 20:59
    Frank Beerens

hi Hendy

thats is the right way i think but pretty hard to do for a beginner i think. Is there a simple way ?

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Nov 25, 2010 @ 22:48
    Kim Andersen

Hi Frank

Actually I would go for the same approach as Hendry mentions. And it's not even that difficult. First of all - Do you know how to work with XSLT? As I'm a frontend developer I would create this with XSLT, If you are more of a .NET-guy that also all right ;)

In XSLT you could determine a source-node, and then get the five (or more?) newest articles/products or whatever it is, of the underlying nodes if this is where the content should come from.

But how's your structure in the Umbraco backoffice?

/Kim A

Nov 29, 2010 @ 19:23
    Frank Beerens

hi i talked to the designer and that is not the way he want it to be. The messages on the right site are only "shortcuts" to one page. But every item has it owns anchor. The user has to type alle the messages him self double once on the home page and one time at the page itself.

What is now the best approach to do this ?

Nov 29, 2010 @ 19:47
    Kim Andersen

Hmm...that sound like more work for the end user, but fair enough. I think the easiest way of doing what you want then, would be to create five richtext editors on your homepage-node. Then the user can create the titles and also the teaser text in the RTE's as well as linking the whole text using the WYSIWYG editor.

I'm not sure I would do it this way, if the title/teaser is the same as the one written on the page itself, but if that's how you guys want it to be, then you can create it like this :)

/Kim A

Nov 29, 2010 @ 19:49
    Frank Beerens

hi kim that was the original question how can i make 5 RTE's ?

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 29, 2010 @ 20:00
    Rich Green

Hi Frank,

You just add a property to your doc type and set it's type to Rich Text Editor, then repeat this 4 more times, until you have 5 or as many as you need, they can all be on the same tab or different tabs.

Rich

Nov 29, 2010 @ 21:24
    Kim Andersen

Ahh hehe, my bad. Well, Rich has already given you the perfect recipe:

Go to the Settings section. Find your document type, and create a new property with the type of Richtext Editor. Repeat that step four more times and you should be good to go.

When you have created the five editors, you can just render each of them in your template via umbraco:item, or a XSLT-/UserControl-macro. It's your choice.

/Kim A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft