Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nelsenlim 70 posts 71 karma points
    Nov 23, 2010 @ 10:23
    nelsenlim

Child has same display as parent

Hi thank u in advance for the help anyway i am now creating a product catalog
    Something like this

Cars

-Honda

-Civic

-City

-CRV

-Toyota

-Rush

-Camry

Now my question is i don't have any template for the individual model for each model example /cars/honda/civic
    But i do have a template for each branch /cars/honda

I only entry the individual model because my XSLT needs to display the models for each Brand.
    Is is better not creating a node in umbraco? store it somewhere else?

Or what i would really like is, is it possible if the user goes to  /cars/honda/civic it will be shown the page /cars/honda instead? Is there any easy way of doing this other than creating another template which basically refers to the parent node properties.

Thank you.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Nov 23, 2010 @ 16:22
    Kim Andersen

Hi there

Have I understod you correctly if you want the user to be navigated to the /cars/Honda-page whenever they try to navigate to the /cars/Honda/Civic-page?

Meaning that a user must never be shown the individual model-pages, but alway be redirected to the parent page which is the brand-pages?

Or do you want to show the content from Honda, Toyota etc. on each individual model page? So all of the Honda cars, will have the same content as the Honda Brand page?

/Kim A

• nelsenlim 70 posts 71 karma points
    Nov 24, 2010 @ 04:42
    nelsenlim

Hi thank you very much for the response, yes actually i would like to know how to do

1. Redirect, Thank you for the link Jon http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracoredirect i didn't know about that one so thanks a lot. But unfortunately it would involve creating a property for each model and assigning them to the parent page, but it does inspire me to write a user control which looks for the parent node url page and perform a Response.Redirect(parentNode.URL), is that a good way to do it using user control macro and doing a Redirect in PageLoad?

2. Show Content of Brand Page in Model Page. Do you have any idea how to do that Kim, that would be quite cool :)

3. Actually i don't want to be entry-ing Model as a Node in umbraco because it will become a page, is there anyway i can sort of insert the models to an external table outside of umbraco. i've heard about CustomDataType is it appropriate to be implemented in this case?

So it's like having a shirt with color Red (10US$) White(15US$) Green(20US$) i want the shirt to be a page but not the colors, i want the colors to be stored else where preferably outside umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft