Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nelsenlim 70 posts 71 karma points
    Nov 23, 2010 @ 10:23
    nelsenlim

Child has same display as parent

Hi thank u in advance for the help anyway i am now creating a product catalog
    Something like this

Cars

-Honda

-Civic

-City

-CRV

-Toyota

-Rush

-Camry

Now my question is i don't have any template for the individual model for each model example /cars/honda/civic
    But i do have a template for each branch /cars/honda

I only entry the individual model because my XSLT needs to display the models for each Brand.
    Is is better not creating a node in umbraco? store it somewhere else?

Or what i would really like is, is it possible if the user goes to  /cars/honda/civic it will be shown the page /cars/honda instead? Is there any easy way of doing this other than creating another template which basically refers to the parent node properties.

Thank you.

• Jon Cuthbert 84 posts 173 karma points
    Nov 23, 2010 @ 22:53
    Jon Cuthbert

One easy option would be to add the umbracoRedirect field to your invidual model document type. This is a content picker that would allow you to select the car's parent branch. Here's more information on it http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracoredirect.

Nov 24, 2010 @ 04:43
    nelsenlim

Hi thank you very much for the response, yes actually i would like to know how to do

1. Redirect, Thank you for the link Jon our.umbraco.org/.../umbracoredirect i didn't know about that one so thanks a lot. But unfortunately it would involve creating a property for each model and assigning them to the parent page, but it does inspire me to write a user control which looks for the parent node url page and perform a Response.Redirect(parentNode.URL), is that a good way to do it using user control macro and doing a Redirect in PageLoad?

2. Show Content of Brand Page in Model Page. Do you have any idea how to do that Kim, that would be quite cool :)

3. Actually i don't want to be entry-ing Model as a Node in umbraco because it will become a page, is there anyway i can sort of insert the models to an external table outside of umbraco. i've heard about CustomDataType is it appropriate to be implemented in this case?

So it's like having a shirt with color Red (10US$) White(15US$) Green(20US$) i want the shirt to be a page but not the colors, i want the colors to be stored else where preferably outside umbraco.

• Jon Cuthbert 84 posts 173 karma points
    Nov 24, 2010 @ 15:52
    Jon Cuthbert

1. Yes, a usercontrol to redirect you to the parent would work. Another idea would to just use the same template for both pages and check to see if it is a model or branch; if it's the model then change it to the branch and render the page as normal. Why are you linking to the model pages in the first place?

2. Showing parent content on any page is very simple in Umbraco.

3. I would not separate your content by putting it in another location. It is totally acceptable to use nodes to hold content without any intention of using it as a stand-alone page.

Nov 29, 2010 @ 03:04
    nelsenlim

Hi thank you for point

3. It is totally acceptable to use nodes to hold content without any intention of using it as a stand-alone page.

That's exactly what i want to do, i don't want to store data as a node which results in it will be accessible just like a page. Example i want to develop Testimonials functionality and want all the testimonials stored outside of umbraco (not as a node)

Do you have any tutorial on how to do that?

I came across interesting article when googling

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postsm27900_Storing-data--not-content-related--in-umbraco.aspx

Thank u for the help

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft