Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Kiernan 278 posts 341 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 13:57
    Tony Kiernan

Moving a tab to a chile document type?

Can this be done? 

I have a parent document type with a tab holding one property field.  It has become apparent that this is only used in one child document type.  Can I move this tab without losing the current entered property values?

• Jason Lowenthal 6 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:36
    Jason Lowenthal

Hi Tony,

Not easily. You'd currently have to do it via the database.

I may look at adding it to my Doc Type Extensions package (http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/doc-type-extensions), but due to work load, that doesn't look like it'll be till the new year.

Matt

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 14:46
    Tom Maton

I dont think there would be an issue (unless anyone can confirm there is but...).

Just remove the tab from the parent and add to the child doc type, then republish your site so that the values for each of the nodes (pages) are updated eg. pages not using the property field are removed and the other nodes are updated.

Just be sure to backup your database before attempting this.

Tom

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:12
    Tony Kiernan

Yeah, if I remove the tab the property just moves to the generic properties of the parent doc type. 

I've tried removing the property type after that and keep getting the conflict of dependencies error.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:22
    Niels Hartvig

It's currently NOT possible. We're working on supporting this in JUNO (v4.6)

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:26
    Jason Lowenthal

NA

Nov 15, 2010 @ 15:30
    Jason Lowenthal

Hmm, dunno what happened there, but the responses from Jason above are actually from me. I seemed to have been logged in as him for some reason.

@Tom, I don't think that will work, as the reference to the property is an ID, so removing a property and rededfining it, will change the ID, and so the current data is stored.

Looking in the database, it looks as though you can just modify the cmsPropertyType, updating the contenTypeId column for the given property. Change it's value from the parent doc type, to the child doc types ID. You should probably clear up any saved values for the doc types that no longer use, but it shouldn't hurt your install if they were left.

If you change the value, you may need to restart your app pool for it to take effect.

Cheers

Matt

Nov 15, 2010 @ 16:44
    Tony Kiernan

Thanks guys. Of course Niels was strictly the right answer.

But, Matt kinda nailed it there. Changing the contenTypeId in combination with changing contenttypeNodeID in cmsTab has bumped it down the tree the way I wanted.

Thanks!

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 16:53
    Lee

Ohh am I logged in as someone else?

(No ... :( )

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft