Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 01:28
    North Krimsly

Unable to get custom 404 page to work

Greetings all,

I tried to create a custom 404 page by creating a document type, template and content node for the page in Umbraco.  I previewed the page to make sure it worked (from the Link to Document on the content node properties page). Then I modified config/umbracoSettings.config as follows:

<error404>1107</error404>

Where 1107 is the node ID of the content node in the Properties page. However upon navigating to a non-existent page on the site, I still get a regular 404 error page served as follows (which incidentally does not seem to be the "this page intentionally left ugly" standard Umbraco 404 page):

Does anyone know why this is happening or what I did wrong?  Perhaps there is some IIS configuration I need to do at my web hosting company?

Thanks,

-NorthK

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 08:10
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Have you checked that in your config\404handlers.config file at least this line is in there:

<notFound assembly="umbraco" type="handle404"/>

Other than that, I'm not sure what could be going on, the error you're seeing is indeed IIS' default 404 page instead of Umbraco's. If the above config file is correct then Umbraco should taken over the 404 handling completely.

Oct 26, 2010 @ 08:49
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I also just found this, might be of help: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/8244-IIS7--404

Oct 26, 2010 @ 18:42
    North Krimsly

Greetings Sebastiaan,

My config\404handlers.config file does not have that line.  I'm using the default config file with Umbraco 4.5 (which I haven't modified).  Is the additional line of code you mentioned required for 4.5?  If so, does that line need to be in a specific location (order) within the file?  I couldn't find much documentation on how to set up custom 404 pages in Umbraco-- if you know of a good link for that, I'd appreciate it. Here is what my default 404handlers.config file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <NotFoundHandlers>
      <notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForAlias" />
      <notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForTemplate" />
      <notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForProfile" />
      <notFound assembly="Umbraco.PoetPatcher" type="GenericError" />
    </NotFoundHandlers>

Thanks for your help,

-NorthK

Oct 26, 2010 @ 19:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ah, I see the problem is the PoetPatcher, which will cause you to get the generic error, as specified in the last notFound handler.

If your hosting provider has updated the server with the latest fixes for the .net security hole, you can uninstall that package. The line I mentioned should replace the PoetPatcher line. 

Oct 26, 2010 @ 21:54
    North Krimsly

Hi Sebastiaan,

For the benefit of others on the forum, here's what I did to solve the problem:

I had actually already uninstalled the Umbraco package (here: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/aspnet-security-vulnerability-patch) that provided a temporary fix for the ASP.Net vulnerability (my hosting provider installed the official Microsoft patch).  However it appears that the uninstall did not fix up the 404handlers.config file back to normal.  Once I updated the 404handlers.config to match your suggestion, I still could not get my custom 404 page to come up (!)

Finally, I needed to log in to my hosting provider's control panel (SoftSys) and set up a custom 404 handler that executed the URL of the Umbraco custom 404 page I had previously created. Once I did that, my Umbraco custom error page was correctly served for 404's.

Thanks for helping me track this down.

-NorthK

• Haripriya 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 18, 2013 @ 12:06
    Haripriya

Greetings All,

Where can I find the inbuilt 404 Error page which is displaying:

Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 'http://localhost:43990/contacts/'.

This page can be replaced with a custom 404. Check the documentation for "custom 404".

This page is intentionally left ugly ;-)

I want to edit this page.where is this page located? Or  does I need to create my own Page and provide the ID in config file?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft