Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kasper Dyrvig 246 posts 379 karma points
    Oct 01, 2010 @ 09:19
    Kasper Dyrvig

Change the documenttype?

I want to simplify my setup in Umbraco. I have made the - if you ask me - perfect plan. Except from one thing...

The site is already running but I have made some big changes ready for it. So my task is now to change the documenttype for existing pages. How can I do that?

Your help is appreciated!

Oct 01, 2010 @ 09:55
    Kasper Dyrvig

I can see 2 ways, but I would like to know if there are a more easy way to do it...

Find and change the values for dokumenttype manually in the database (I would like not to do that)
    ...or first create the new pages and then delete the old ones.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 01, 2010 @ 09:57
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You might be able to do it using the Doc Type Extensions package.

Oct 01, 2010 @ 10:18
    Kasper Dyrvig

yesnoooooo... From the description of the package I don't think it will do the job as I have planned it. But I can see a possiblity to twist it a little. So I will remember it if nothing else comes up.

Thanks you for your response! But I would like to know if there are other ideas!

Oct 01, 2010 @ 10:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I'd advise strongly against going in the database by yourself, it's complex and easy to mess up (been there, done that).

The source code of the package is available though, so have a look.

I'm wondering what it is that the package can't do though, maybe I can advise further?

Oct 01, 2010 @ 12:10
    Kasper Dyrvig

I think it is a little deficult to explain...

But after some thinking you may be right with the package. I just have to do it the other way around. I'll let you know the conclution in a while...

Thanks!

Oct 01, 2010 @ 15:29
    Kasper Dyrvig

I have now installed the package and moved the dokumenttypes to a new master type. But now I can't edit the pages that are related to the replaced documenttype??? I can still see them live, and I can create new pages with the moved type. But no editing of existing pages...

Oct 01, 2010 @ 15:44
    Sebastiaan Janssen

What is the error? If you right-click and publish them, does it work then?

Oct 04, 2010 @ 08:26
    Kasper Dyrvig

Sorry I haven't replyed before now...

The only thing i get is: "Server Error in '/' Application. Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. Requested URL: /umbraco/fejl.aspx"

I have tried to republish many times, but still nothing.

Oct 05, 2010 @ 08:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Wait, you're getting this error in the backend of Umbraco, or in the frontend? In the last case, all you'd probably have to do is republish the entire site (in the Content section, right-click on "Content" at the top and choose Republish entire site).

Oct 10, 2010 @ 16:30
    Kasper Dyrvig

Well, now I have solved it "the hard way". After creating the new document types I created all the pages again (the frontpage I gave another name) but with the new types.

So for now all my problems are solved :-)

To answer your question: The error accord in the backend.

Oct 10, 2010 @ 22:36
    Sebastiaan Janssen

That is REALLY weird though, that you would get a 404 error in the backend, it's almost like you deleted the editContent.aspx.. but that can't be what's going on.

Anyway, it took you some time probably, but I'm glad you've got the problem solved!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft