Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 01:06
    Craig Cronin

This is a real challenge.  I am looking to build a website for a local council who's web structure includes about 1,500 pages.  Some pages appear in more than one area but I don't want to duplicate content.

I worked on Microsoft Content Management 2002 which had the ability to create a page then create connected pages in other parts of the content site structure.

I could possibly do this through iframes but this won't validate has an accessible website.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 08:23
    Sebastiaan Janssen

In umbraco you have a "magic" property called umbracoUrlAlias, just added it as a TextString to your documentType and you can specify all of the alternative urls the page should have.

The other way around you could also do it: create a nodePicker property called umbracoRedirect and whenever someone gets to that page, they will be immediately redirected to the other page that you've picked.

Does that help at all or is this not what you want to achieve?

Sep 30, 2010 @ 09:01
    Craig Cronin

I have thought about the redirect option but didnt want to do this because it would take them away from their current position and would take them out of their current navigation position.

I'm not quite sure what the first option will give me though?  What I want to happen is the same functionality that a redirect page can give me but i want the user to stay within the same position within the site tree so that the adjacent pages stay consistent.

If this can be done elegantly then its a massive bonus for umbraco.  All local authority  websites in the UK try to adopt a national standard navigation list called the LGNL and LGSL which is based upon this principle and always struggle implementing this functionality.

I've potentially got a large project with one council and if we can provide a solution to this will have the possibility for far more work so any help is appreciated and that you Sebastiaan for your current suggestions.

Craig

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 09:36
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If you use umbracoInternalRedirectId you will stay on the same URL, but the page shown is the one you've picked, sound like you need that one!

Sep 30, 2010 @ 14:11
    Craig Cronin

Hi Sebastiaan,

I really do appreciate your help and thanks for the information.  I will test this today.

Thanks

Craig

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft