Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bruce Clark 56 posts 80 karma points
    Sep 21, 2010 @ 19:10
    Bruce Clark

How are Umbraco translation pages related to their original, if at all?

I am curious on functionality for translations that I haven't been able to find documented. Here's the jist:

If you submit a site for translation, have a Translator user upload the new XML document and then publish that site. Are the pages then related from then on out to the orignal site or are they all seperate managed pages? IE: if I delete a page in my English site will the German site also have that page removed or do I have to delete the page there too. This could get extremely annoying if you have 4 or 5 languages for a site.

How are Umbraco translation pages related to their original, if at all?

Sep 24, 2010 @ 21:04
    Bruce Clark

Bump?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 23:05
    Morten Bock

Translation as such, does not have anything to do with relations between pages. When you send a page to translation, then the uploaded translation will be saved into the page that you clicked on. 

The simplest way to do this is to have you site something like this:

Content
    - en
    - - Some Page
    - - New page
    - de
    - - Seite

Now you want the New Page on the german site. So you copy it, and select the "relate to original" checkbox. Then you right click on the newly copied page under the "de" site, and send that to translation. Repeat that for all the languages that you have.

When you want to delete them all, you will need to create some logic to help with that. Sp you can create an eventhandler that listens to the delete event, and then delete all related documents at the same time.

We built a solution that would also take care of copying the pages and send them to all the different languages with one click. The key to this is using the relations API and the eventhandlers.

Sep 28, 2010 @ 19:23
    Bruce Clark

Thanks!

Good post, some of the logic would require programming out of my level but at least I understand the gist. I'll have to play around with the way related 'to the original' pages work. 

-Bruce

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft