Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave 16 posts 36 karma points
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 20:43
    Dave

Using page parameters Recursively for a macro

Is it possible to pass a macro the value of an umbraco:item from a template?

Currently in my templates I have:

<!-- determine the body class based on the selected scheme, or parent node scheme-->
    <body class="<umbraco:Item field="colorScheme" useIfEmpty="default" recursive="true" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>">

This is working nicely, and provides the end result that I need.  However, I also have a macro:

<umbraco:Macro randomImage="[#randomImage]" Alias="RandomBackground" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>

Rather than having the macro depend on the parameter [#randomImage] which is a media Node, I'd rather allow it to default to the parent recursively, much like the body class does above.

I tried the following:

<umbraco:Macro randomImage="<umbraco:Item field="randomImage" recursive="true" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>" Alias="RandomBackground" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>

Which results in the following output:

<umbraco:Macro randomImage="1216" Alias="RandomBackground" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>

Returning the NodeId of the parent as expected, but the macro doesn't appear to run?

Can this even be done this way, or is there a correct approach?

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 21:11
    Stefan Kip

You can create the macro in code-behind and set properties from there.

Explained in the following topic/post: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/5407-Macro-parameters-from-codebehind?p=0#comment19960

• Josh Townson 67 posts 162 karma points
    Jul 23, 2010 @ 17:01
    Josh Townson

Hi Dave,

you just need to know a little more about the bracket syntax (like [#randomImage]). See this page: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/templates/umbracomacro-element

which will tell you to do this:

<umbraco:Macro randomImage="[$randomImage]" Alias="RandomBackground" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>

Basically "$" instead of # in the bracket syntax makes the page variable recursive

/Josh

• Dave 16 posts 36 karma points
    Jul 23, 2010 @ 18:49
    Dave

Josh,

Thanks! that's exactly what I needed.

~Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft