Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Murray Roke 503 posts 966 karma points c-trib
    May 14, 2010 @ 05:23
    Murray Roke

Suggestion: autocreate property alias & other aliases.

Hi

I think it would be nice if alias were inserted as you type from the Property Name field.

Of course I'd like it to respect my naming convetions (perhaps this needs to be configurable somehow)

so I type "First Name" and my alias is "firstName" bind a jQuery event on key up.

Guess I can write it myself :-)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 14, 2010 @ 08:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Great idea! Don't forget to filter any character that's not [a-zA-Z] or [0-9]. :-)

• Heather Floyd 605 posts 1004 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 02:57
    Heather Floyd

I see this was added in umbraco 4.5... Is it configurable anywhere? I don't like how it forces camel casing on my property aliases. (Hey, if I want to have weird conventions for my own readability, I should be allowed to...)

EDIT: I tried turning off this feature via the umbracoSetting.config file:

<ForceSafeAliases>False</ForceSafeAliases>

But it seems to completely ignore my preference and still forces the camel casing. (I touched web.config and even restarted the web server, to no avail.)

This is actually a serious backward-compatibility problem for any site that has been upgraded from a previous version of umbraco because if you even just touch the alias field for an exisiting DocType property, it changes the casing, which breaks any xslt files that reference that field.

Thanks,

Heather

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 08:13
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Agreed, this is a backward compattibility problem, you should create a codeplex issue.

About the ForceSafeAliases preference: I think it makes sure that there's no hyphens in the alias and no special characters.

• Heather Floyd 605 posts 1004 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 20:14
    Heather Floyd

Done.

Please vote for the issue here: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/28703

Thanks, Heather

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft