Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan Brinker 77 posts 103 karma points
    Jul 01, 2013 @ 12:44
    Jan Brinker

Plugin compatibility reporting in backend

A colleague and me just had an idea while we were trying out a new plugin.

We downloaded the zip, installed it, found out it wasn't working and made the system crash. We wanted to report bad compatibility and found out that we were not logged in on our.umbraco. So we logged in.. and the page requested for us to download the package AGAIN before taking our votes.

So wouldn't it be nice, if there was a button in the backend on the detailed plugin view that says "report compatibility"? The Umbraco version could be directly determined, without manually setting it. The only thing a user would need to do is to say: "works good", "patchy" or "not at all" and we'd all be done with it.

Also this would bypass our.umbraco saying that you didn't download the package yet so you can't vote.. even if you did download it while being logged in (happened to me quite a few times).

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 01, 2013 @ 12:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jan

Yup that would indeed be nice and I think it's something that has also been discussed on various forums and irl.

If there is not a feature request on the issue tracker for this - found here http://issues.umbraco.org/issues then please feel free to add it with the same reasoning above or simply a reference to this post.

Please post the link for the issue in here so others who come across this post can go and vote it up.

Cheers,
    Jan 

• Andrew 47 posts 105 karma points
    Jul 01, 2013 @ 19:47
    Andrew

What would be great as well would be a feature that also reads a package name and shows the compatibility report when you confirm install.

Ex.
    This package has been reported to be compatable/non-compatable with your umbraco version.

or

This package has no compatability report for your versions.
    Do you want to continue?

Would save some people some real trouble.

• Jan Brinker 77 posts 103 karma points
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 11:30
    Jan Brinker

Interesting, I didn't get any email notifying me about replies to this post.

Anyway, I created a feature request ticket: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2468

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Sep 10, 2013 @ 22:45
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

I've voted this up on the issue tracker.

New versions of Umbraco not working with packages built for older versions is a serious problem and may put alot of new developers off.

Installing a "starter-kit" is the first basic thing alot of new developers do, and if that doesn't work, their confidence in Umbraco is going to be impacted from the get go. So much so, that they may just ditch it and go else-where, basically it just looks bad from a mature CMS to be failing at the first hurdle.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft