Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jose Malone 121 posts 58 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 22:00
    Jose Malone

List of Commercial Packages?

Not sure if this is the right topic subsection, but I thought I would add a request for listing commercial packages. I just learned about the Axendo Form  Designer package via a post. It'd be great to see what other packages, albeit $$$, are available as well as the community versions.

Also, our.umbraco.org is really looking great! Thank you to everyone that has been involved.

Jose

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 23:00
    Paul Sterling

Jose -

In theory *most* commercial packages are available via the umbraco store http://store.umbraco.org but the reality is that many folks who offer commercial packages have not made their work available via the store.  Still, keep an eye on the store as is *may* end up being the central repository for commercial packages.

Also, we have an active effort underway to rationalize the various package locations - see:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/codegarden-2009/open-space-minutes/integrating-the-3-package-repositories

-Paul

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 18:47
    Ron Brouwer

Paul, the store is a good way to start, however

The reason not everyone uses it is because:

- they need an alternative licensingmodel than the standard of umbraco.
    - they might want to store some additional data or something like that.
    - It costs 20% to use it.

I totaly agree with Jose, I think a lot of people can't find the package they need when it does exists.
    It would make live a lot easier if all the packages can be found on the same website.
    Why not create a special tab under projects for the commercial packages?

Ron

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 19:20
    Dirk De Grave

Nope, commercial packages should go to the umbraco store IMHO, that's what it's best at! Our.umbraco.org does feel much more as the community, and community means sharing, which commercial packages don't really comply with. Having said that, I'm not against promoting packages here on our forum. And community edition packages (light version of a commercial product) could also go here.

About the licensing model, I think Darren has done on work on that and can also be found here at the our.umbraco.org site.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jul 17, 2009 @ 19:23
    Dirk De Grave

Oh, and about the 20% costs? Just include that in your retail price. And if it's stated well that 20% is spent to fund the umbraco product, no one will ever have complaints about that! At least, my clients wouldn't.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 19:44
    Ron Brouwer

@Dirk I'm not completely convinst.

I do agree with you that community means sharing and for that reason you can choose not to place them on Our.umbraco.org.
    But stil, It would make live a lot easier if all the packages can be found on the same website (maybe packages.umbraco.org?).
    Otherwise there will always stay packages somewhere else for whatever reason, whitch also affects the community.

About the costs I agree with you, but I know that not everyone shares that opinion.

Ron

Jul 17, 2009 @ 19:49
    Dirk De Grave

Ok, so i think we kind of agree that we should have a link to commercial packages site, and keep this site for community packages?

Like to hear umbraco corp's opinion on this! Anyone listening?

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Jose Malone 121 posts 58 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 20:25
    Jose Malone

I understand making our.umbraco.org the coummunity site where all things open source or self-serve reside. Getting everything under one roof has been a huge need for sometime.  If you look at other open source solutions (DNN, SurgarCRM, viTiger, etc.) which have a commercial support or subscription service they have a simular approach. The community site has all the self-serve stuff, but what most others do is have the up-sell features highly visible which Umbraco has been pretty low key about. Leave the store as is, but let's get some good cross-linking so people can find solutions. I think we all agree that having the only way to find a package is via search the forum (commercial or not) is not a great solution for anyone. So at least having a mention or a tab to go to the store on the community site seems like viable options.

Sincerely,

Jose

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft