Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 15:59
    Lee Kelleher

Similar v4 packages for v5 - separate project or collaborate?

Hello dearest community members, wanted to throw a question out there about the release of packages for Umbraco v5.

A lot of developers are excited about making packages for v5 and given the great wealth of existing packages for v4 - it is completely understandable to migrate these.  Whilst the underlying code for the v4 packages is not compatible with v5, there is a fair share of rewriting/redevelopment - which should be given credit/karma.

My question is, should these re-worked v5 packages be separate projects (on Our/Deli) or should an effort be made to consolidate/collaborate them into a single project/page?

Recent releases that could be merged into a single projects...

Bing Maps Property Editor (v5) bing Maps for Umbraco (v4)

Markdown PropertyEditor (v5) Markdown Editor (v4)

I'm sure there will be many other migrations, how should we best handle them? Is a project page for a specific package, or the project/idea itself?

Thanks, Lee.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 16:13
    Jeroen Breuer

Great idea! Might be a good idea to merge these. Some packagse also have different 4.0 and 4.5 versions and those are in 1 project. Guess vor v5 the same applies. However there needs to be a clear way to see the difference between v4 and v5.

Maybe it's not just for projects. Wiki and forum topics are all about v4 now. Somehow when I'm looking for something in v5 I don't want 100's op topics and wikis about the same subject in v4. Something to think about :).

Jeroen

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 16:29
    Richard Soeteman

I agree that some packages might be similar, but the downside of mergin them in a single project is that you only have 1 download button. so what is going to be default install? I think the project section needs to be changed if you want to support V4 and V5 packages in the same project. Maybe changing the download buttons to Download V4 and Download V5 will be enough?

Cheers,

Richard

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 17:16
    Warren Buckley

Hi Lee,
    This is a good discussion I must admit I did not know there was a Bing Maps package already, but in regards to the packages I made it was just some example package/s to promote what can be done with Umbraco as property editors and it was to encourage people to download the sourcecode from the Umbraco V5 Contrib project on Codeplex to pull it apart and learn from it and start making their own.

In terms of what the best thing to do is. I think it will vary from case to case. However obviously the best option would be, if there is a similar project already on V4 is to ask the project owner if they want to collobrate first.

I'll get in touch with the project owner for the Bing Maps on V4 and he see if he wants to colloborate and perhaps swap ideas :)

But in my mind and how I 'personally' see things that packages will more likely contain single items of just a single property editor, so that if the V5 team decides to use Nuget's package dependency then I could say my website package requires this property editor and another package.

But again that's my personal view and how I see things, it doesn't mean I am right or it will happen that way.

Just my 2cents worth.
    Warren :) 

Jan 26, 2012 @ 17:57
    Lee Kelleher

Thanks guys, I'm in agreement, for projects supporting both v4 & v5 would require the project pages to be revisioned.  Definiely worth exploring ideas more!

@Warren: Completely understand that your recent packages are for education and encouragement for v5 (as well as being useful too!)  Sir, I salute you! #h5yr

Very curious how the v5 NuGet packages are going to work. I've been using NuGet more recently (in general ASP.NET terms) and find that NuGet packages are better in bite-sized chunks (e.g. I wanna pull in jQuery, SignalR, etc - rather than a full blown web-app, just the libraries) ... aw NuGet, so brilliant!

Thanks, Lee.

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 18:28
    Warren Buckley

Yeh Lee, I agree with you that like Nuget perhaps these packages should be small things that performs one action really really well. Such as a property editor, or a dashboard. That way people can pick and choose what items that want to install and configure into their site, but again like I said before in a bigger picture it would be nice to use the dependcies from Nuget in V5. So I can build a website package and say I need a Bing Maps PropertyEditor and a RGBA PropertyEditor along with the most recent edits dashboard without me as a website starter package builder having to repackage up the proeprty editors every time those authors make a change to their packages.

Rather than a project/package trying to do everything and anything, is to perhaps focus on one thing and make it really awesome at it doing that one thing.

Again that's how I would like to see it work. But that is not to say there cannot be packages that contain more than one item that are a more fully polished application or package perhaps.

Cheers,
    Warren :) 

Feb 03, 2012 @ 03:57
    Lee Kelleher

Bumping this back up, as I've just released a version of my Robots.txt Editor package for Umbraco 5.

At the moment the copy/blurb is focused on the v4 edition... so wondering what to do about it ... either re-write the blurb to give v4 & v5 equal attention, or create a separate project page for the v5 edition? (which feels like a waste/duplication).

Also it raises the attention of the lone "download" button.

Eager for feedback on this one! :-)

Thanks, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft