Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vitaly Melnikov 6 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 07:29
    Vitaly Melnikov

Umbraco + nopCommerce

Hi

I would like to share with you results of interesting experiment/research, related to Umbraco CMS. You know all the advantages of this system, but when you try to think how to implement a real site with Umbraco, you very quickly find the lack of reasonable eCom system. At the same time, there is a very popular Open Source shopping cart nopCommerce. A very nice product with a lot of features (http://www.nopcommerce.com/featurelist.aspx), but as CMS it is not so much advanced. Actually I could say that it is not pure CMS at all. This summer, nopCommerce guys migrated their system to MVC and at the same time, Umbraco 4.6+ is able to handle MVC razor templates as well for their macros.

MVC architecture is very flexible and supports natively the templates hierarchy, so, I thought that we've a chance to integrate nopCommerce to Umbraco w/o too much efforts. There were some challenges (e.g. Umbraco razor engine and nopCommerce based on different MVC versions), but eventually we created prototype of a working system: http://92.50.196.226:8083

It is an Umbraco installation with nopCommerce shop on board. They use the same database, work inside the same web application.

You probably could start with administration to see how it works. Go to /umbraco/Default.aspx Login/password = [email protected]/admin and open the nopCommerce section.

Admin

As you see, the menu of tree is the same as menu of nopCommerce (actually it uses the same XML menu data source), so, you’ve all the nopCommerce admin management inside Umbraco. And nice thing – you can easily customize it and write your own nodes/reports/configuration sections as normal MVC pages.

Next, open frontend. We used a set of tricks to make it working, one of the tricks was to initialize Umbraco context around nopCommerce page. When you call nopCommerce URL like /category/product, you should associate Umbraco page context with this node. We hardcoded the page ID for now, so, this demo setup uses nopCommerce on a start page only. In real life we could write a special simple .NET macro which will tell the system that that page contains nopCommerce inside. And you can place that macro to any page of your Umbraco website.

As you see there are some things to do before using this system in real projects, but we have some kind of proof-of-the-concept at the moment.

Happy coding!

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 10:30
    jaygreasley

Hey,

This looks very cool, will you be packaging it up?

I have a small client who are interested in eCommerce on Umbraco but have no budget for the commercial packages, this would suit them just fine

#h5yr

Jay

Dec 14, 2011 @ 00:30
    Vitaly Melnikov

Yeah, we've such a plans.

But if your client is in a hurry we probably could provide it right now with some help in installation. Feel you free to contact me at skype id = vladivostokskype

• Firas Khalifeh 11 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 17:33
    Firas Khalifeh

Hi Vitaly,

really great, actually i am looking for such solution, Nop 2.x MVC and umbraco 4.7 webforms.
    would you define the steps to do that, or make a tutorial video, or i have to pay for such a help !!??

one more thing about the integration, is the membership integrated between Nop and umbraco?
    coz when openning any node in the nop section inside umbraco admin using 'admin' account, that you defined. then it redirect me to the page login page of nop ??

hope that you publish your solution, coz it is really great to see this kind of integration ( tree inside umbraco), not only solving the conflicts between  web configs issues!

Firas.

Dec 22, 2011 @ 08:37
    Vitaly Melnikov

Hi Firas

It is not something like several simple steps... It includes web.config merge, database merge, include MVC routes register to Global.asax, membership provider, change to login procedure, etc, etc.. It requires changes to nopCommerce sources after all - we've to inject the Umbraco context to MVC templates hierarchy rendering chain. Not a huge work, but it is probably not so easy to describe in video.

What if we'll use the idea of Jay and prepare the package. Would it be suitable for you?

Membership integration is one-way at the moment: you can use nopCommerce login account to log in to Umbraco, e.g. on our site you can try [email protected] /admin.

Vitaly.

• Martin Albinsson 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 23, 2011 @ 14:42
    Martin Albinsson

Wow, this is fantastic news!

I'm new to umbraco and just as you said, the first things I realized was missing was the ecom-capability. Such an integration will finaly provide the world with a really complete open source .net option. I'll be waiting eagerly to try your solution. Thank you.

/Martin

• Firas Khalifeh 11 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 28, 2011 @ 12:41
    Firas Khalifeh

Hi Vitaly,
    Thanks a lot.
    it would be a good idea to prepare a package for thiss integration.

/Firas

• Larry 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 28, 2011 @ 15:41
    Larry

Hi Guys.

This is a must that I would realy like to try out.

I did find a download of the files that Matt Brailsford put at dispossition after his demonstration at the 2010 Umbraco UK festival here: http://www.mattbrailsford.com/downloads/umbnop.zip unfortunately all these files were done on older versions of both Umbraco and nopCommerce

I see that your prototype of a working system at http://92.50.196.226:8083 has been done on the latest versions of both.

Would realy love to get hold of the files or the package to start diging into this awsome combination of Umbraco and nopCommerce.

Can anyone out there help me out on getting this.

Thanks in advance for any help. Regards

• Pasang Tamang 258 posts 458 karma points
    Jan 10, 2012 @ 06:26
    Pasang Tamang

Hi,

Before reading this post I was thinking to integrate Umbraco 4.7.1 and NopCommerce 1.9 as defined here  http://www.mattbrailsford.com. Now I'm waiting for your solution to work in 2 great open source projects in a single enviromnent. Could you please post about the status? Might so many umbracian are waiting for this solution.

Thanks

PTamang

• Gilles Faessler 29 posts 53 karma points
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 13:21
    Gilles Faessler

Nice proof of concept and demonstration site looks very promising. 

What about Umbraco 5 and NopCommerce, would it facilitate integration ?

Kind regards

Gilles

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft