Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 14:54
    Per Ploug

Suggestions on how to categoriese packages

This place has been bombarded with packages which is apsolutely fantastic, but how should we move forward in categorizing these items?

My suggestion is that site admins move the packages into the proper categories after they get created. This way we know items will be placed correctly and in case we decided to create sub categories we can easy move items around without involving the package authors.

This ofcourse will result in changing urls for the different packages, but as brilliantly suggested by warren buckley, we could allow package authors to have vanity urls for their packages. So instead of: /packages/wesite-starterkits/Creative-Website-Wizard-By-Warren-Buckley , it could be /packages/cws

input?

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 15:05
    Darren Ferguson

Per, we had a discussion at cg09 around the three repositories (our.umbraco, store and traditional package repository) and I do believe that Tim G was actioned to come up with some categories that would be used across all three to maintain consistency...

See: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/codegarden-2009/open-space-minutes/integrating-the-3-package-repositories

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 00:53
    Jesper Ordrup

Breaking it down into a structure of categories would be ok. Allowing project owners to tag their projects would imo be better and more along with the nature of the site. Tag cloud could filter out noicy tags (tags used less than x times).

I also think there's a need to be able to browse/filter packages on the following properties:

- Umbraco version:
    - NET Framework:
    - Other requirements: (like runway)
    - Stable: beta/production?
    - Type of project (package)
    - Is docs avail
    - Can be installed by: webmaster, developer, ...

I can easily imagine clicking on "starter webs" and then filter for Umbraco version and stable=production.

/Jesper

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 09:17
    Warren Buckley

I think a mixture of the above will work perfectly.

1. our.umbraco.org site admins create main categories and move the packages into the categories
    2. Add some more meta data fields to a project, such as Jesper's suggestions
    3. Vanity URLs such as cws.packages.umbraco.org or whatever domain/format

With these combined I think it will work great.

Warren :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft