Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Nielsen 159 posts 257 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 16:31
    Peter Nielsen

Crop picker from Mediapicker

Hi all,

At the moment there is an Image Cropper datatype build into Umbraco. An the Media picker has a setting where you can "Show Preview" and "Show Advanced Dialog".

I was thinking it could be pretty useful if you could compine thoose things an make a setting called something like "Show crop picker" and then could choose wich Image Cropper datatype the media picker should take the crops from.

So when the users of Umbraco have to choose an image, they have the ability to choose wich crop they want also. And offcourse when you upload through the advanced dialog box, it would be cool if it saved the different crops aswell. Right now i cant use the advanced dialog box, because my clients have to go into to the media tree and publish (and maybe rearrangere the crops) to have the crops on the server.

So I really love the new settings to the media picker, and I love that the old Image Cropper is a default part of Umbraco, but I would love it more, if you could combine them a little more :-)

/Peter

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 17:43
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi Peter,

This is a really good idea! I've already developed a media picker which has a lot more features than the default media picker. If you're interessed in creating these new features perhaps it's better to add them to the Digibiz Advanced Media Picker package. You can find the source code at http://damp.codeplex.com/.

Jeroen

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 18:04
    Tom Fulton

Hi Peter & Jeroen,

I also had this idea, as a new project I was working on needed the ability to crop product images for custom thumbnails.  DAMP was perfect for this because it has an "Edit" link to allow the user to edit the media item and create the crops after they upload the media.

I customized DAMP to show the image crops as the thumbnail when present, and it works great and was pretty easy to implement!  I also added a few other things like proper Folder detection (rather than checking for the Folder mediatype), limiting createable/selectable Media Types and some UI updates.

I have been meaning to ask the best way to share these updates.  I actually didn't think anyone would want the thumbnail crop feature but thought the folder detection and media types could be incorporated into the package if Jeroen liked.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tom

Mar 21, 2011 @ 18:25
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi Tom,

Sebastian was also working on showing image previews if you click a folder:

This feature isn't available yet and hasn't been commited to codeplex. I could make you a contributor of the project so you could commit your code to codeplex. If we're all going to work on this media picker it can become even better! The other updates you're metioning also sound great so I hope you want to share these features with us!

Jeroen

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 18:30
    Tom Fulton

Wow, very cool!

I would definately be intereted in sharing these.  There is still a bit of fine-tuning to be done and I am pretty swamped with a current project, but during the project will probably also require that I finish these things up :)

I'll drop you a line once I have some time to finish these up and jump on codeplex!

Thanks,
    Tom

Mar 22, 2011 @ 13:51
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi Tom,

You've been added as a contributor to the project. Welcome to team DAMP ;-). Hopefully we can make this package even better together!

Jeroen

• Toni Becker 146 posts 425 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 16:50
    Toni Becker

look into the razor section i've created a snippet for using images and crops at both

• Toni Becker 146 posts 425 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 16:51
    Toni Becker

ah and watch my screencast there's an example as well :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft