Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 16:51
    Hendy Racher

Finding Our Forum Members by Name

Hi, being able to find forum members by name (linking to their profile) might be a useful feature ?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 17:31
    Jan Skovgaard

+1

This would indeed be a nice feature - and it would also be nice to have the member locator fixed. It just keeps loading at the moment?

/Jan

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 17:37
    Chris Houston

+1

I agree about the member locator, it seems to take forever to load that page.

Chris

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 18:08
    Hendy Racher

Not checked the Member Locator page for a while... it really does take a long time to load ! guessing it's because there are lots of forum members - perhaps it's calculating a distance for each ? in which case it might actually be quicker just to render everyone onto the map ?

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2011 @ 18:22
    Chris Houston

I'd be interested to know how it is doing it too, as it really shouldn't take that long to process.

I would guess it's probably accessing each member node via the Umbraco object structure, if it is doing that, then obviously with a lot of members it will be slow. I would think if the geo-cordinates were stored for each member it would be possible to write a simple helper function that returned the closest members and that just performed a single SQL query.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft