Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    May 19, 2010 @ 15:50
    Mark

Related Links Data Type Bug

This is my first post!

Related Links + Umbraco version 4.03 + browsers (IE 8 and Firefox 3.6.3)

I'm getting some odd behaviour when creating, removing and moving items within the Related Links data type. I can't find anyone else mentioning the issue on the forum.

The bug rears it's when more than one related link points to the same page (internal or external). Just from looking at the behaviour, coupled with noting that the option element values are identical for the links that point to the same pages, it seems that the related links data type always looks for the first occurance in the list, even though you may be wanting to apply an action to a later item in the list. This happens when using the following actions:

Move up, Move down, Remove link.

I tried using the the "Related Links with Media" data type also and saw the same results. With this data type the Edit link action is also affected.

There must be cases where users will want to have multiple links to a single internal or external page. Even if it's only a temporary requirement (e.g. during link creation).

I imagine the simplest solution would be to add a unique index id attribute for each link, and that this id be used for all actions.

Is this something that should be raised to the development team directly? I'm assuming it should go to the core development team, and also to the developer responsible for the "Related Links with Media" data type?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

If you post your issue on codeplex (http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic) the core team will notice and decide if it's something that needs to be fixed or not.

/Jan

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:50
    Mark

Thanks Jan. I'll do that now.

Mark

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft