Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Giovanni Sidoel 94 posts 233 karma points
    Jun 18, 2014 @ 15:48
    Giovanni Sidoel

Media tree not loading all of a sudden

Hey guys,

I have a 6.1.3 instance of Umbraco on which the media tree has stopped loading all of a sudden. Things worked fine and it just won't expand the tree now and the right side where folders and thumbnails get displayed also won't load anything. In the inspector I can see I get a timeout. I've tried creating indexes on the database to get it to lad faster. But no luck. There's also no reason why it should time out as the media tree is pretty well structured and it shouldn't have to load too much.

umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=f3dff05a8f454804b3e402f5a16f4b37&id=-1&treeType=media&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=71.4

times out with 

Server Error in '/' Application.

The wait operation timed out

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out]

[SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) +1767866
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) +5352418
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) +244
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) +1691
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData() +61
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +90
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +365
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, SqlDataReader ds) +1406
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite) +177
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +53
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +134
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +41
       System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +10
       StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +68
       System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader() +12
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.<>c__DisplayClass4.b__3() +98
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction(Func`1 func) +170
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy cmdRetryPolicy, RetryPolicy conRetryPolicy) +118
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy retryPolicy) +52
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command) +48
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.d__1c`1.MoveNext() +169
       System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection) +381
       System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList(IEnumerable`1 source) +58
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.Fetch(Func`3 cb, Sql sql) +126
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.EntityRepository.GetByQuery(IQuery`1 query, Guid objectTypeId) +454
       Umbraco.Core.Services.EntityService.GetChildren(Int32 parentId, UmbracoObjectTypes umbracoObjectType) +351
       umbraco.cms.presentation.Trees.BaseMediaTree.Render(XmlTree& tree) +65
       umbraco.loadMedia.Render(XmlTree& tree) +19
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.LoadTree(TreeRequestParams treeParams) +78
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.GetXmlTree() +156
       umbraco.presentation.webservices.TreeDataService.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +124
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +341
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +69

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18447

I run this locally with a backup of the production database and all is fine. However if i change the local connectionstring to use the production database it also stops working. So I'm thinking something is wrong with the sql server at the host?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 18, 2014 @ 16:24
    Ismail Mayat

Giiovanni,

I have seen this before, the situation i had was i had 32bit win2k8 server we moved to win2k12 64bit and media stopped loading. In iis i updated the app pool so that it had enabled 32bit that fixed the issue. In another instance we had to just add more ram to server.

Regards

Ismail

Jun 18, 2014 @ 16:58
    Giovanni Sidoel

Ismail,

I'll give it a whirl but I don't think it will help. I've copied the database to a local instance. The local instance runs it just fine. But if I change the connectionstring on my local instance to use the production DB I get the same issue. Also my local app pool has 32-bit enabled, so if anybody has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear and try them.

Jun 18, 2014 @ 20:03
    Giovanni Sidoel

Ok. So the hosting provider detected a bit of a hang on the database. They restarted the service and all is well again thankfully.

• Essy 74 posts 96 karma points
    Mar 31, 2015 @ 11:31
    Essy

I'm getting the same problem with 3 (unconnected) systems on the same db server simultaneously - when one goes then it brings the two others down ... but strangely there are another 4 Umbraco systems also on the same db server which do *not* go down (tho' the media section does go a bit slow). The version numbers of the ones which fail are 6.1.1, 6.1.5 and 6.2.0 ... the version numbers of the systems which stay up are 4.11.8, 6.2.1 and 6.2.4 ... so logically it looks like a bug which was introduced somewhere around 6.1 and fixed in 6.2.1 but I can't see anything in the Umbraco release notes which would suggest a fix.

Re-setting IIS temporarily solves the problem but I need a permanent solution ... If I need to go through the long haul of upgrading I'd like a degree of confidence that there really is a fix so does anyone know if this was reported/fixed as an official bug and if so, which version it weas fixed in?

Or ... did anyone get a permanent fix from any other means?

Feb 17, 2016 @ 18:15
    Giovanni Sidoel

I ran into this again in a 6.2.5 instance. I managed to fix it.

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/75132-increase-media-tree-timeout#240514

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft