Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Charles 42 posts 63 karma points
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 05:09
    Charles

Entire Site is now down because of Umbraco...??!!!

OMG, this CMS feels like it was going to break any minute just from browsing to different sections in the Administration of it.  And low-and-behold, it has broken.  I simply went to settings, opened up a template file, did absolutely nothing to it, and just clicked the save button, got an error that stated like the name of the template might have 2 names or something, so it was unable to save it and said that I should check the name.  I didn't change anything to it.  Just tried saving it and it broke my entire site in the process.

Now I get nothing but a white page on every page of my site, and get this error in Firefox Console errors that says this:

The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol.

How can this be fixed???

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 10:10
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Charles,

Since I can´t see your template structure in Umbraco or the content of the template, can it be more difficult to help. But I will try anyway.

As I can see from the error that you have posted your document is in ASCII encodeing. You could try adding this as a first line in the HEAD section of your HTML template. If you use Template inheriting find the Master page that contains the head section.

The charset attribute can be used as a shorthand method to define an HTML document’s character set:

<meta content="utf-8" http-equiv="encoding" />

This is the same as:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

I hope this helps,

/Dennis

Feb 12, 2014 @ 15:41
    Charles

Well today accessing the umbraco Admin from a different computer and it seems that the 4 templates that were there are now gone completely.  There are no templates at all in Umbraco Admin -> Settings -> Templates.  There are supposed to be 4 templates in there.  But it shows absolutely none!  What is going on now?

Where are the templates in the file system?

Ok, I found them in the system under ./masterpages/ directory.  Guess I will just recreate the templates now in the Umbraco Admin.  Hopefully that fixes the problem, because editing the MasterMain.master file that with your recommended change did not fix the problem at all.

My MasterMain.master file looks like this...

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="MasterMain.master.cs" Inherits="MasterMain"       %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="SEOControl"               Src="~/controls/SEOControl.ascx"            %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="ScriptControl"            Src="~/controls/ScriptControl.ascx"         %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="HeaderControl"            Src="~/controls/HeaderControl.ascx"         %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="HeroControl"              Src="~/controls/HeroControl.ascx"           %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="MenuFooterControl"        Src="~/controls/MenuFooterControl.ascx"     %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="StickyFooterControl"      Src="~/controls/StickyFooterControl.ascx"   %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="FavoritePromptControl"    Src="~/controls/Forms/FavoritePromptControl.ascx" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="LoginRegistrationControl" Src="~/controls/Forms/LoginRegistrationControl.ascx" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="mmg" TagName="EmailFavoriteFormControl" Src="~/controls/Forms/EmailFavoriteFormControl.ascx" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head runat="server">

<meta content="utf-8" http-equiv="encoding" />

<title runat="server" visible="false"></title>

<mmg:SEOControl    ID="TheSEOControl"    runat="server" />

<asp:Literal       ID="TheFavIcon"       runat="server" />

<mmg:ScriptControl ID="TheScriptControl" runat="server" />

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="TheHeadContentPlaceHolder" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

</head>

Let me know if you need to see the body tag, but I think everything you'll need is in here.  Where should I look to fix this?

Feb 12, 2014 @ 15:53
    Dennis Aaen

Okay Charles,

I would recommend you to create Umbraco stuff inside the Umbraco backoffice first. It would be templates, document types, scripting files like XSLT or Razor, so it being
    registered correct in Umbraco.

After that you can work further with the files in your favorite editor. It could be Visual Studio. That's how I work with Umbraco if I work outside the Umbraco backoiffice.

/Dennis

Feb 12, 2014 @ 15:59
    Charles

Now when I go and try to create a template in the box that pops up, after giving it a template name and clicking "Create" button to create the template in the Umbraco Backoffice, I get 500 Internal Server Error.  Am unable to create any template in Umbraco Backoffice.

What should I do now?  Do you think the database is all jacked up now as well?

My Templates in Umbraco were like 3 lines each, here's what the Interior Template looked like:

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
    <asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
    </asp:Content>
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 16:05
    Charles

The ./umbraco/masterpages/default.Master page looks like this:

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="default.master.cs" Inherits="umbraco.presentation.masterpages._default" %>

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

Feb 12, 2014 @ 16:37
    Charles

Well, I now reverted all changes that were made to all files on the site since 4 days ago via GitHub, and it did not make a difference.  There must be a glitch somewhere in the database?

What tables to look at?

Feb 12, 2014 @ 16:55
    Charles

Wow, I don't believe my page is completely empty templates are completely missing entirely and I am not able to add any templates either.  What a waste of time this CMS is.  And there is no way to debug why the header is not being written to the page.  Other than the fact that their are no templates available anymore.  I did not delete any templates, so this tells me that Umbraco has deleted my templates on me from the BackOffice!   WHY?  In the back office, if I click on any Document Types in there, I get 500 Internal Server Error on the right hand side.

Feb 12, 2014 @ 17:57
    Charles

Restored all files, and now just did a complete restore of the database before this error occurred.  Still have the same problem.  Templates are missing and the pages of the site are still coming up with this error message:

The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol.

What is there left to do now?

• Darryl Godden 145 posts 197 karma points
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 18:09
    Darryl Godden

Is this an external site? Do you have a link?

Feb 12, 2014 @ 18:34
    Charles

No, I have it on localhost right now.  I had to add urlrewrite abilties in web.config in order to get it to work with the urls and such.

You can browse to the Public DNS here:  http://ec2-54-227-61-185.compute-1.amazonaws.com but you're only going to get a white page anyways, so I don't know how this will even help you.

• Biagio Paruolo 1583 posts 1814 karma points c-trib
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 21:29
    Biagio Paruolo

Hi, I think that you have some problem on folder permission and IIS settings. Which version of Umbraco Do you use?

Feb 12, 2014 @ 21:32
    Biagio Paruolo

Ah...se the code of you page. There is a Javascript out <html> tag.

• Darryl Godden 145 posts 197 karma points
    Feb 12, 2014 @ 21:38
    Darryl Godden

I assume Biagio sorted it as that website link looks fine to me.

Feb 13, 2014 @ 04:00
    Charles

I restored the database, first time I didn't restore it properly, but this time I did.  Than I had to do something else to get it working.  @Biagio, there is definitely an issue with folder permissions and IIS Settings somehow.  I have Umbraco 4.6.1 installed, and IIS 7.5.  How do I get the permissions of the folders correct?  Cause when I go and edit a template and try and save it, it comes up with folder permission error and doesn't save the template.  Also, the templates folder disappears at times, and than I have to restore the database to be able to see the templates again.  How can I fix this?

Feb 13, 2014 @ 07:59
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Charles,

Since you have your Umbraco installation on your local machine, you could try to follow this guide on how to setup Umbraco on localhost. I know it´s an older guide but it should still work.http://www.franklinogsimonsen.dk/media/856/install_umbraco_4_on_windows_vista.pdf

There is also the uGoLive package to check the folder permissions in some of the newer Umbraco installation the uGoLive package is pre installed. And if you you will find it under the developer section, there is a tab called uGoLive checklist.

But from the package description it sems that your version is not supported. I will start to chek your permissions by using the PDF guide at first to see if it solves your issues.

Hope that helps,

/Dennis

Feb 13, 2014 @ 11:41
    Biagio Paruolo

Hi,

Follow these steps.

1. Backup database and site and delete all files under web root
    2. Check IIS AppPool is .NET40 type
    3. Give full permission on root folder to Network Server
    4. For testing give to Everyone Full, too ( In production remove it )
    5. Copy your site
    6. Delete umbraco.config
    7. Try
    Feb 16, 2014 @ 10:57
    Charles

Yes, it seems permissions are not the problem now, but it still does not let me save any templates.  I get error saying to check to be sure there are not 2 of the same template names.  But there aren't 2 of the same template names.  How to fix this problem now??  OMG.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft