Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• slawekg 9 posts 29 karma points
    Oct 16, 2009 @ 15:05
    slawekg

Reindex kills my site

Hello all!

I have 4.0.1 installation.

I've found out that in my umbracoLog table are rows with the following errors:

• "Error removing node from umbraco index: 'System.IO.IOException: read past EOF     at Lucene.Net.Store.BufferedIndexInput.Refill() ..."
    • "Error indexing node: (System.IO.IOException: read past EOF     at Lucene.Net.Store.BufferedIndexInput.Refill()     at Lucene.Net.Store.BufferedIndexInput.ReadByte()..."
    • "Error loading actionhandler 'umbSearchUpdate': System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Int32 Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Delete(Lucene.Net.Index.Term)'.     at umbracoUtilities.umbSearchResult.AddPageToIndex..."

I've googled about it for a minute and I found out that I have installed umbracoUtilities which are not compatible with the lucene dll (shouldn't that be fixed somewhere?:) ). I've decided to make a backup and uninstalled this package (dll got deleted also).

I've also cleared few unused document types and templates and cleared trashbin.

Then I've read somewhere that it's good to reindex the site, first deleting the content of the /data/_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete directory. I did that. Next, I've run /umbraco/reindex.aspx . It wasn't working at all, so after 20 minutes, I've found out there was a tick under read-only (not for a folder, but the content). So I've removed that , applied, rerun index and I was watching how the files were created under this dir. What's strange, after 1-2 minutes, there were only 3 files left in this dir.

Proud of myself, I've tried to run the site and was immediately hit by error that there's no node under some id:

"At /en/home.aspx (Referred by: ): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  ...".

Tried the backend and received: "At /umbraco/editContent.aspx?id=1152 (Referred by: http://localhost/umbraco/TreeInit.aspx): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Proper...".

Then I've run ( http://www.getopt.org/luke/ ) to see if the index is ok, and it was!

At first I thought that maybe I've killed some important document type. But I've checked that and it wasn't the case.

Just to finish this epic post, when I've restored /data/_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete directory to the pre-changes state, it all started to work!!

Can someone help me or point me to the right direction? What's happening here? If I won't touch 'reindex' method it's all working!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 18, 2009 @ 12:58
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't have a lot of experience with the re-indexing but something you might try is moving everything (except for the packages and vistadb folder) out of the data directory and start clean. 

Run the /umbraco/reindex.aspx and when it's finished, before you do anything, recycle the application pool (or touch the web.config).

Then first log into the backoffice, when everything looks fine there, go to the frontend.

It's been working fine for me so far. Hope it doesn't do any harm (at least you have a back-up).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft