Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sasa Popovic 77 posts 367 karma points
    Sep 28, 2009 @ 23:38
    Sasa Popovic

umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelperException

Hello everyone,

I was looking into event log to try to understand why publishing stops working in one of Umbraco web farms when I noticed this:

1. It happens a few times that next exception is thrown:

An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: DefaultDomain

Process ID: 4772

Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException

Message: Type 'umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelperException' in Assembly 'umbraco.DataLayer, Version=0.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' is not marked as serializable.

StackTrace:    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.WriteObjectInfo.InitSerialize(Object obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context, SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter, ObjectWriter objectWriter)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Serialize(Object graph, Header[] inHeaders, __BinaryWriter serWriter, Boolean fCheck)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph, Header[] headers, Boolean fCheck)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CrossAppDomainSerializer.SerializeObject(Object obj, MemoryStream stm)
       at System.AppDomain.Serialize(Object o)
       at System.AppDomain.MarshalObject(Object o)

2. That exception is followed by:

A process serving application pool 'XXX' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service. The process id was '4772'. The data field contains the error number.

3. At the end application pool stops with next message:

Application pool 'XXX' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

Did anyone have problems like this?

This all happens in a load balanced environment with four web servers hosting Umbraco and one DB server.

Regards,
    Sasa

• Chris McVittie 103 posts 75 karma points
    Sep 29, 2009 @ 00:22
    Chris McVittie

@sasa, i posted the same thing on friday, not sure why its happening.  On my single vps based instance, it just happened out of the blue during a 2 day period when there was nothing being done in umbraco.

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 01, 2009 @ 09:35
    Shannon Deminick

This error is due to an incorrect SQL connection string, which will also crash our app pool. Double and triple check your conn string and/or verify your server can access the SQL server.

Hopefully in 4.1 this error won't crash your app pool :)

• Karl Kopp 121 posts 227 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 00:40
    Karl Kopp

Yeah - this bit us too this morning :) Nice to see the fix coming Shazza!

• Steven Wilber 103 posts 98 karma points
    Mar 16, 2010 @ 14:53
    Steven Wilber

I had the same error too just now. Triple checking the connection string was the answer. Thanks Shannon.

• Kristian Ravnevand 94 posts 214 karma points
    Mar 18, 2010 @ 15:03
    Kristian Ravnevand

Another solution: I suddenly ran into this issue - problem was that SQL server Express wasn't running after a reboot of the server :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft