Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Jul 25, 2013 @ 17:48
    wolulcmit

Timeouts and crazy cpu usage when saving particular media items

Before I start this, I realise my Umbraco Install might be a bit unique, in that it was a 4.10.x with courier also installed. Which courier was then uninstalled upon upgrading to 6.1.3 (since courier wasnt supported in 6 at the time)

Am experiencing some strange behaviour (timeouts and high cpu usage) when saving certain old items that were created before the upgrade (perhaps too because a caption field was added to my image document type)

Here's a before saving and after to illustrate cpu usage before/after saving the media item in question

All this for saving one image?
    Apart from the default fields my document type has the following additional items on it: Caption field using a (rich text editor) and an Eksponent Cropup field/datatype

A small sample of what SQL profiles outputs (I dont exactly know what to look for here):
    the cmsPropertyData seems to be called the most often

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT *
    FROM [cmsTemplate]
    INNER JOIN [umbracoNode]
    ON [cmsTemplate].[nodeId] = [umbracoNode].[id]
    WHERE ([umbracoNode].[nodeObjectType] = ''6fbde604-4178-42ce-a10b-8a2600a2f07d'')
    AND (umbracoNode.id = @0)',N'@0 int',@0=1184
    ------------------------------------------
    exec sp_reset_connection
    exec sp_executesql N'SELECT *
    FROM [cmsTemplate]
    INNER JOIN [umbracoNode]
    ON [cmsTemplate].[nodeId] = [umbracoNode].[id]
    WHERE ([umbracoNode].[nodeObjectType] = ''6fbde604-4178-42ce-a10b-8a2600a2f07d'')
    AND (umbracoNode.id = @0)',N'@0 int',@0=1182
    SELECT *
    FROM [cmsPropertyData]
    INNER JOIN [cmsPropertyType]
    ON [cmsPropertyData].[propertytypeid] = [cmsPropertyType].[id]
    WHERE ([cmsPropertyData].[contentNodeId] = 1760)
    AND ([cmsPropertyData].[versionId] = '43bb467d-9e69-4475-b98a-3dd32e82813a')
    SELECT *
    FROM [cmsPropertyData]
    ON [cmsPropertyData].[propertytypeid] = [cmsPropertyType].[id]
    WHERE ([cmsPropertyData].[contentNodeId] = 1760)
    AND ([cmsPropertyData].[versionId] = '43bb467d-9e69-4475-b98a-3dd32e82813a')
    exec sp_reset_connection
    exec sp_executesql N'SELECT id, createDate, trashed, parentId, nodeObjectType, nodeUser, level, path, sortOrder, uniqueID, text FROM umbracoNode WHERE id = @id',N'@id int',@id=1662
    select xml from cmsContentXml where nodeID = 1760
    SELECT *
    FROM [cmsPropertyData]
    ON [cmsPropertyType].[id] = [cmsPropertyData].[propertytypeid]
    INNER JOIN [cmsDataType]
    ON [cmsDataType].[nodeId] = [cmsPropertyType].[dataTypeId]
    WHERE ([cmsPropertyData].[id] = 369997)
    -------------------------------------------
    Select versionId from cmsContentVersion where contentID = 1796 order by id desc

So this eventually times out, but the data I'm saving does actually get saved and seems to be published as it shows on the front end of the site.

Just wondering what this could be? it doesnt seem to happen with newly created Media items, just older ones.

Is this a bug or just an unfortunate side effect of upgrading?

cheers,

- Tim

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:32
    wolulcmit

As an update to this, The whole back office seems to be quite slow when fetching nodes. Admittedly there are quite a few nodes around 5000 at a guess, but am not experiencing any similar slowness when fetching/redndering pages on the front end.

Does anybody have any general advice for slowness in the umbraco admin? (Check for slow data types, rebuild SQL indexes, cache the whole database in memory somehow etc?)

Am keen to try a belle back office build when one becomes available to see how it would compare

Am running the site in Mvc mode and haven't had too many other problems in v6 apart from this

Tim

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jul 31, 2013 @ 10:42
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

It might not be related, but this topic has some tips for if your backoffice is slow: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/37022-Publishing-with-API-is-slow

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft