Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kurisotofa 27 posts 75 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 17:29
    Kurisotofa

Unable to publish content into umbraco.config

Since this morning, we are unable to publish our created nodes into the umbraco.config XML file.
    Our changes appear properly in the DB, but our umbraco.config file has disappeared, and we can't seem to get it back.

Another bug we've noticed (but most probably they're connected) : the "link to document" property of every single node is empty.
    We can save and publish, but that doesn't have any effect on any of our nodes.
    Even "re-publish entire content" on the root doesn't have any effect.

We've upgraded to Umbraco 4.0.2, but that couldn't solve our problem.

ASP 3.5 is installed on our Windows 2003 server with IIS.
    Other sites on the same server keep running perfectly.

Any ideas, suggestions? Anyone who had this before?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 17:45
    Douglas Robar

This is almost certainly file-permission related.

Double-check that the owner of the application pool for your site has permissions to create/update/etc. to the /data folder. That'll resolve the /data/umbraco.config file.

Other folders may need permissions re-set as well.

Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

• James Hildeman 92 posts 88 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 18:02
    James Hildeman

I agree completely with Doug.  This has occured many times for me.  If you're under XP you typically add "ASPNET" account with at least modify permissions.  If you are running under Win2003 Server you typically add "NETWORK SERVICE" account with at least modify (or whatever the app pool identity is).

Jimbo

Sep 22, 2009 @ 18:04
    Kurisotofa

The application pool's owner is NETWORK SERVICE, by standard, I guess.

NETWORK SERVICE has full control permissions on "data" and all other required folders.

Since all nodes were still present in the DB, I decided to copy all folders to a backup folder and start over again.

So I installed a fresh copy of Umbraco and updated my web.config file, and this is what I get when trying to publish a node :

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.Node.initializeStructure() +16
    umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.Node..ctor(Int32 NodeId) +203
    umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.loadNodes(String parentId, SiteMapNode parentNode) +87
    umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.BuildSiteMap() +188
    umbraco.presentation.nodeFactory.UmbracoSiteMapProvider.UpdateNode(Node node) +57
    umbraco.content.PublishNodeDo(Document d, XmlDocument xmlContentCopy) +496
    umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d) +172
    umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 pageId) +39
    umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 DocumentId) +97
    umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.Publish(Object sender, EventArgs e) +251
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
    umbraco.controls.ContentControl.savePublish(Object Sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +46
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +108
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +118
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyn

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 23, 2009 @ 06:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

First of all, try using the umbPermissions script to make sure all of your permissions are correct.

This last error seems familiar, I had it the other day but I can't remember what the cause was. I think it was some package that I was brewing. Have you installed any packages after the initial install?

Try deleting your umbraco.config file, run /umbraco/reindex.aspx and see what happens.

Sep 23, 2009 @ 09:47
    Kurisotofa

Used umbPermissions, but as I mentioned before, all needed permissions were granted and double-checked...

I just discovered the umbracoLogs table in SQL server. Maybe the error descriptions will ring a bell to some of you...

Our problems started yesterday afternoon with the following error :

- Xml wasn't saved: System.Xml.XmlException: Invalid XML document, The document does not have a root element..     at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Save(String filename)     at umbraco.content.SaveContentToDisk(XmlDocument xmlDoc)

Sep 23, 2009 @ 09:59
    Kurisotofa

An additional remark :

There is no umbraco.config file to be found in the /data folder. I've know all nodes are (or should be) stored in that umbraco.config file. However, we've double-checked the appropiate permissions (full control, of course) on the /data folder in particular. Even when I manually put an (dummy) umbraco.config file in the /data folder, and I click "republish entire site" on the Umbraco root node, this umbraco.config file has disappeared from the /data folder.

@Sebastiaan : we had indeed installed additional packages after the initial install. However, yesterday I moved the entire umbraco website to a backup folder, and set a completely new Umbraco installation on the initial Inetpub folder. I then completed the normal Umbraco setup, using the already present database. No success however, we got the same results...

@Sebastiaan (bis) : how can we run /umbraco/reindex.aspx ?

• Vijay 30 posts 47 karma points
    Oct 08, 2009 @ 22:44
    Vijay

OK. We had the exact same problem and we found out that the umbracoLog table had different errors.

"Error removing node from umbraco index: 'System.IO.IOException: read past EOF     at Lucene.Net.Store.BufferedIndexInput.Refill()     at Lucene.Net.Store.BufferedIndexInput.ReadByte()     at Lucene.Net.Store.IndexInput.ReadInt()     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentTermEnum..ctor(IndexInput i, FieldInfos fis, Boolean isi)     at Lucene.Net.Index.TermInfosReader..ctor(Directory dir, String seg, FieldInfos fis)     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Initialize(SegmentInfo si)     at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Get(Directory dir, SegmentInfo si, SegmentInfos sis, Boolean closeDir, Boolean ownDir)     at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.AnonymousClassWith.DoBody()     at Lucene.Net.Store.Lock.With.Run()     at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(Directory directory, Boolean closeDirectory)     at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(String path)     at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.index.Indexer.RemoveNode(Int32 Id)'"

We then unpublished every content node manually and then republished the entire site, THEN republished all the nodes one by one.  I am not even sure if this is the right way to fix this problem, but it seemed to do the trick for us.

• Tony H 52 posts 69 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 09:28
    Tony H

Have the same problem but can't unpublish/republish any nodes in Umbraco admin du to the fact that I won't get any nodes in the content tree? Is there an other manual way to do this?

• Tony H 52 posts 69 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 09:45
    Tony H

To clarify...

• The Umbraco 4.0.2.1 website worked perfectly up untill yesterday.
    • There is no umbraco.config.
    • I can no longer find any subnodes in content tree in Umbraco admin (in any of the sections)
    • Tried setting premissions to everynone has full controll.
    • Tried running /umbraco/reindex.aspx = with no result.

This is some info from my logg:

• Error removing node from umbraco index: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Inetpub\mtr_webb\wwwroot_updated\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_ka.fnm'.
      File name: 'C:\Inetpub\mtr_webb\wwwroot_updated\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_ka.fnm'
         at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
         at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
         at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
         at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput.Descriptor..ctor(FSIndexInput enclosingInstance, FileInfo file, FileAccess mode)
         at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput..ctor(FileInfo path)
         at Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory.OpenInput(String name)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.FieldInfos..ctor(Directory d, String name)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Initialize(SegmentInfo si)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Get(Directory dir, SegmentInfo si, SegmentInfos sis, Boolean closeDir, Boolean ownDir)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.AnonymousClassWith.DoBody()
         at Lucene.Net.Store.Lock.With.Run()
         at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(Directory directory, Boolean closeDirectory)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(String path)
         at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.index.Indexer.RemoveNode(Int32 Id)'
    • Error indexing node: (System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Inetpub\mtr_webb\wwwroot_updated\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_ka.fnm'.
      File name: 'C:\Inetpub\mtr_webb\wwwroot_updated\data\_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete\_ka.fnm'
         at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
         at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
         at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
         at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput.Descriptor..ctor(FSIndexInput enclosingInstance, FileInfo file, FileAccess mode)
         at Lucene.Net.Store.FSIndexInput..ctor(FileInfo path)
         at Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory.OpenInput(String name)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.FieldInfos..ctor(Directory d, String name)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Initialize(SegmentInfo si)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentReader.Get(Directory dir, SegmentInfo si, SegmentInfos sis, Boolean closeDir, Boolean ownDir)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.MergeSegments(Int32 minSegment, Int32 end)
         at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.Optimize()
         at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.index.Indexer.IndexNode(Guid ObjectType, Int32 Id, String Text, String UserName, DateTime CreateDate, Hashtable Fields, Boolean Optimize))

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Tony H

• Arimas Artadi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 21, 2010 @ 09:53
    Arimas Artadi

Just Today my site has experienced the same problem.

We cannot publish any node to umbraco.config, event worse our umbraco.config was lost too. When we try to access our site, the only page thats show up was umbraco generic start page, as if there is no published content at all in our site.

We have tried to republish and reindex our site, but it doesn't do any good. Is there something we can do to repair it?

• Arimas Artadi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 21, 2010 @ 10:05
    Arimas Artadi

to Tony,

How long have your site run?

if it has run for sometime, and you have many subnodes or nodes in your site, check your umbracolog for time out error. its possible that your site has too many nodes in it. As a illustration:

-your root ( 3 nodes )
       -sub node 1 ( 200 node )
       -sub node 2 ( 500 nodes )
       -sub node 3 ( 800 nodes )

umbraco may encounter query time out while trying to render these tree.

• Andrew 142 posts 98 karma points
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 13:55
    Andrew

Has anyone made an headway with this problem?.

We have a situation where if we change content the changes are reflected properly - so everything appears to be running fine - however we have no umbraco.config file and we have not changed the xmlcache setting in umbracosettings.config.

Elsewhere we have read that we should try and run /Umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?refreshNodes=1234, but running this gives us the "No Document exists with Version '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000' error.

Let me re-iterate that all content changes are running fine - just no umbraco.config? should i be worried about this

Umbraco 4.5.2  (upgraded from 4.5.1 which was upgraded from 4.01)
    SQL 2005
    Dotnet 4.0

I have a sense it is an upgrade issue. but i may be mistaken?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft