Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 431 posts 1669 karma points
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 22:35
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Latest Umbraco Version 4.11.2.2 Cannot Create Macros

Just installed the latest build of umbraco. If you right click and create a new macro on the macro folder in the developer section an error occurs:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.PopulateFieldsOnLoad(Macro macro, String macroAssemblyValue, String macroTypeValue) +182
       umbraco.cms.presentation.developer.editMacro.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +383
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +18
       Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +15
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +30
    Anyone else getting this error?

• sun 403 posts 395 karma points
    Jan 12, 2013 @ 06:49
    sun

Wow, I met this bug. I can assure you that it is a bug.

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Jan 12, 2013 @ 09:56
    Anthony Candaele

I tested this and can confirm: right click on 'Macros' in the Developer section of the backoffice, create a new macro: this YSOD appears:

greetings,

Anthony

Jan 12, 2013 @ 11:23
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

If you are wanting to create a macro that uses a UserControl a temporary solution to this issue is to create a Scripting file and then change the macro that is created to use your user control.

On a seperate note I am now getting the same issue when I try to create an XSLT file.

Cheers,

Marc

• sun 403 posts 395 karma points
    Jan 12, 2013 @ 14:55
    sun
  • Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 12, 2013 @ 18:47
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thanks for the reports, the bug has been fixed, make sure to update the bin folder from the 4.11.3 nightlies at http://nightly.umbraco.org/umbraco%204.11.3/ - New release will be coming soon.

Jan 12, 2013 @ 18:56
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Magic, thanks Sebastiaan

Jan 12, 2013 @ 19:00
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Seb,

Just coped the dlls to my build and I am getting a new error when I try and create a Macro directly from the Macro folder

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: input]
       System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.IsMatch(String input) +7825270
       Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.PopulateFieldsOnLoad(Macro macro, String macroAssemblyValue, String macroTypeValue) +187
       umbraco.cms.presentation.developer.editMacro.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +384
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +19
       Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +16
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3064

Jan 12, 2013 @ 19:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Marc :-( I think I had a weird merge issue.. I suck at releasing this week. Try 4.11.3.1, it's REALLY fixed now. :)

Jan 14, 2013 @ 15:49
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Seb,

I have just copied the dlls from 4.11.3.1 to my bin folder. I can now create the Macros however I can no longer create DocumentTypes. My error is:

umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.setupInfoPane() +488
       umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.OnInit(EventArgs e) +180
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +132
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +420
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1969

• lucuma 261 posts 563 karma points
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 17:17
    lucuma

Can anyone else confirm that the new DLL's in 4.11.3.1 break the ability to create DocumentTypes?

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 17:51
    Anthony Candaele

Hi lucuma,

I just created a document type in my 4.11.3.1 install. 

I do have issues with the related links data type however.

greetings,

Anthony

Jan 14, 2013 @ 18:48
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Sebastian,

If I try and access existing DocumentTypes I get the same error. If I am updating 4.11.2.2 is it only the dll folder I need to replace?

Cheers,

Marc

Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Marc, yes the bin folder + the change to UmbracoSettings.config should be enough.

I suspect a custom datatype that started to malfunction, but I don't know which one. Do any of your doctypes work? If yes, what's the difference in datatypes on that one version the ones that are failing.

Feel free to email me a zip of the site + database + admin password (reset it before you take the database backup if you feel uncomfortable sharing the pass) to sebastiaan at umbraco dot com so I can have a look.

Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

FYI Nothing that we added in 4.11.3 could really have caused this.

Make sure to also Google first for the error, an IISReset seems to help for most people, or tryadding a space to the global.asax and saving it.

Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:22
    lucuma

I've actually updated my binaries and can not edit the only macro that I had created prior.  After creating a new one (it creates it in the tree), it throws the same error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.PopulateFieldsOnLoad(Macro macro, String macroAssemblyValue, String macroTypeValue) +51
       umbraco.cms.presentation.developer.editMacro.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +404
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +51
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +92
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +14
       Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +12
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +54
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +772

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.17929

Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@lucuma shouldn't be possible any more. Please make 100% sure that all of the files in the bin folder have been overwritten. If that is the case then feel free to email me a download link to your site & database with admin password like I recommended to Marc.

Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Apologies to both Marc and lucuma, just checked the patch file and you should also update some files in the Umbraco folder, so ALL of the files in the Patch zip file (http://umbraco.codeplex.com/downloads/get/600454) need to be copied over. I think this is where at least lucuma's problem comes from, not sure about Marc.

Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:35
    Sebastiaan Janssen

(and, final note: don't overwrite the umbracoSettings.config file but merge it so you don't lose any changes you might have made manually)

Jan 14, 2013 @ 20:21
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Sebastiaan,

Looks like its sorted now. Copied the patch files to my build and everything looks like its working.

Cheers,

Marc

Jan 14, 2013 @ 20:29
    lucuma

I've copied the patch file (I hadn't made any changes to the umbracoconfig) and now get this error when trying to edit a macro:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.PopulatePartialViewFiles() +370
       Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +20
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +772

Jan 15, 2013 @ 10:03
    Sebastiaan Janssen

lucuma: did you copy Umbraco\developer\Macros\editMacro.aspx from the patch file to the same folder in your site?

If you did, then make sure to (instead of upgrading through the patch file) upgrade by copying everything from the full release zip file (/bin, /umbraco, /umbraco_client), upgrade guide here: http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/

Jan 15, 2013 @ 14:18
    lucuma

I copied the entire patch file structure over.  I can now edit but I can not create macros.

Jan 15, 2013 @ 14:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Please try the complete zip file next just to make sure I didn't miss anything in the patch file: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/downloads/get/539730

Jan 15, 2013 @ 14:33
    lucuma

I've copied the unblocked entire zip file over my project.  I can edit macros and  this is the error I get when creating macros:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Source Error: 

Stack Trace: 

Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.PopulateFieldsOnLoad(Macro macro, String macroAssemblyValue, String macroTypeValue) +51
       umbraco.cms.presentation.developer.editMacro.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +403
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +51
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +92
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +14
       Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Developer.Macros.EditMacro.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +12

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.17929

Jan 15, 2013 @ 14:35
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Good, then at least it's showing the correct line number this time. Would you mind sending me your site/database (share it through dropbox or something like that) so I can have a look. As I said, this shouldn't happen any more, but I just can't think of what the problem could be now, I can't reproduce it at all.

Jan 15, 2013 @ 14:39
    lucuma

Done.  I'd prefer to not post it publically. Can I have your email so I can send you the link.

Jan 15, 2013 @ 14:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Of course! Email at sebastiaan at umbraco dot com, thanks!

Jan 15, 2013 @ 14:43
    lucuma

Thanks, I've sent it to you if you want to remove your email from the forum.

Jan 15, 2013 @ 17:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just to update turns out @lucuma was having some problems with Dropbox messing with his Umbraco, all good now! 

Jan 15, 2013 @ 20:55
    lucuma

Either that or I'm crazy, both of which are just as likely.  Thanks Sebastiaan for helping me out so quickly.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft