Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 18:13
    Matt Taylor

Assemblies being deleted from bin folder

Hello all,

I imagine this is more of a .Net problem rather than Umbraco but I have found that the following assemblies randomly get deleted from the 'bin' folder and I keep having to restore them because it breaks Umbraco.

bin\Microsoft.Scripting.dll
    bin\MySql.Data.dll 
    bin\Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.dll 
    bin\TidyNet.dll 
    bin\umbraco.dll 
    bin\CookComputing.XmlRpcV2.dll 
    bin\Lucene.Net.dll 
    bin\umbraco.providers.dll 
    bin\ClientDependency.Core.dll 
    bin\umbraco.DataLayer.dll 
    bin\Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll

Now this seems to happen randomly when I compile a new assembly to the 'bin' folder.
    It has happened once when I compiled a .Net web user control for a macro and also when I compiled a data editor (data type) control I was building.

I would say that I've always been logged into the Umbraco editor at the same time as well as having one of the site's pages loaded too.

I use Cassini via UltiDev to run it all.

I just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this problem?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 21, 2011 @ 18:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matt

I'm just wondering if you're using xcopy or something to update the bin folder, that maybe is configured so that it deletes assemblies on the build?

Can you tell us more about your dev setup perhaps?

/Jan

Jan 21, 2011 @ 18:24
    Matt Taylor

Hi Jan,

No I'm not using Xcopy. I've created a Visual Studio project based around the Umbraco directory structure so the 'bin' folder for my solution is the Umbraco 'bin' folder.

I create my user controls within the project in the Umbraco 'usercontrols' folder and when I compile them the DLL is built directly in the Umbraco 'bin' folder.

I hope that makes sense.

I then just run the Umbraco editor or the website using the built in Cassini webserver engine with Ultidev.

• Chris Lord 58 posts 211 karma points
    Jul 18, 2011 @ 16:31
    Chris Lord

Hi Matt,

I have exactly the same issue, did you ever find out what the issue is, it's driving me mad!

Cheers

Chris

Jul 18, 2011 @ 17:53
    Matt Taylor

Hi,

No I don't know exactly what causes it but it's not the Ultidev tool I referred to before.
    I'm not using that anymore since I moved to Windows 7 but on the odd occasion it will still happen.

I'm sure compiling my assemblies directly into the bin folder of the running site has something to do with it and it would be fixed if I seperated the environments.

If you use source control like I do then it's pretty easy to put the dlls back in place.

Regards,

Matt

Jul 20, 2011 @ 13:40
    Matt Taylor

I found out what does it today when I accidentally clicked on 'Rebuild' for the VS project instead of 'Build'.

Rebuild will clear out the bin folder of any assemblies it doesn't think it needs. Hehe.

Regards,

Matt

• Chris Lord 58 posts 211 karma points
    Jul 20, 2011 @ 16:04
    Chris Lord

Thanks for the info Matt, will remember that, guess marking them as read-only will stop VS deleting them! Thanks again

• John Ligtenberg 53 posts 214 karma points
    Jun 20, 2013 @ 11:34
    John Ligtenberg

I've made a folder called umbraco_library (any name will do) in my Visual Studio project, and copied all original Umbraco dll's into this folder. All required references to Umbraco dll's  (businesslogic, cms, controls, interfaces etc.) are made to the dll's in this folder. Even when I manually remove a dll from the bin folder, the dll is placed back into the bin folder upon build.

Jun 20, 2013 @ 12:15
    Matt Taylor

Now that I'm using bitbucket for mercurial source control hosting (free for a single user) I can easily one click the files back to how they should be. :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft