Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andreas Pfanner 196 posts 314 karma points
    Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:01
    Andreas Pfanner

Page Relations and Hostnames issues

Hello,

I am trying to create a multilingual site with Umbraco 4.5.2 and figured out some issues. 

I had the following structure:

- Content

-- MySite

---- de (german)

------ Produkte

---- en (english)

------ Products

I added the English version "en" on startup using the copy function (with relation) with just a core structure and built up the german version in the last days completely. Now, to sync the two versions (get english version completed), I decided to remove the incomplete english version and copy it again from the german version (with relation, since I am needing that for language switching). This causes the following issues:

1. I cannot re-set the host name www.mysite.com/en for the new "en" node, I get the following error:
    Domain 'www.mysite.com/en' has already been assigned

But in the UI there isn't a page which uses this host name. Seems that the hostname registration is already there, altough I've deleted the page which used this host name (the old english version). What can I do here??

2. Relationships remains to the deleted pages. Now my German Pages have relationships stored to the old english version AND to the new english pages. This isn't desired behaviour, isn't it? How to clean up??

Thank you,
    Andreas

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:07
    Dirk De Grave

I'm afraid some manual db intervention is required as it seems copying/deleting action has resulted in some inconsistencies in the db. Check the umbracoDomains table if you want to reset the hostnames and/or the umbracoRelations for updating/deleting the relations...

Altho not a real fix, I think this is your best bet.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:08
    Dirk De Grave

And if you could reproduce this on a clean install, would be great if you'd create a workitem on Codeplex.

TIA,

/Dirk

Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:23
    Andreas Pfanner

Thanks Dirk. 

So I guess my approach (removing the english version and copy it again) isn't recommended, right?

Well, but what's the best approach to avoid that in future? If pages/contents should be added, they will be added to the main language version first. So is it then necessary to copy each content (one by one) to all of the other language versions. Isn't there a better approach for syncing changes?

According to the relations: I have to look to the umbracoRelation table, identify my german pages, and delete obsolete entries? 

Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:29
    Dirk De Grave

Arrh, make sure to backup first (in theory it should work, but you may never be sure...)!!!, just in case anything goes wrong (and can restore). If that's done, delete the obsolete entries.

As to avoiding this in the future... Guess if you can replicate this on a clean install, it's a bug which should be logged on Codeplex.

Syncing changes can also be done using event handlers (but would only recommend this when site structures are exactly the same, otherwise it may become a mess)

Don't think it's a big issue to perform a copy operation for each new page, as soon as you've finished the first initial copy

Cheers,

/Dirk

Jan 12, 2011 @ 16:06
    Andreas Pfanner

Ok, I've just wondered if nobody else stumbled upon this behaviour, and how others are handling these tasks. But I think it's okay for my project to copy new items manually..

Thanks,

Andreas

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 21:56
    karen

Hi, i know this post is old, but I came across it because the same thing happened to me.

I created a page and set the hostname, then realized I used the wrong document type.  So deleted the page and created a new one, but now I can't use the same hostname, so will have to go muddle in the db.

I guess you have to make sure you remove the hostname before you delete the page.

This is just on my dev box, so not that big a deal.

• Ryan Farghil 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 00:54
    Ryan Farghil

Same issue!  This must be a 4.7 oversight.  Will try the database workaround.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft