Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hans van den Berg 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 13, 2010 @ 15:47
    Hans van den Berg

Client Dependency Module playing havoc with gzip content compression

In Umbraco 4.5.2 I suddenly experience problems when using gzip-compression on the page content. When turning compression on using fairly standard code, on the client side (whatever browser) I get "invalid content encoding" errors, which was not a problem before. I traced the problem back to the Client Dependency Module, but did not arrive at a solution.

On the page_load() of a .master page (or any other .aspx page for that matter) I force gzip compression with fairly standard code:

HttpResponse Response = HttpContext.Current.Response;

Response.Clear();

Response.Filter = new System.IO.Compression.GZipStream(Response.Filter, System.IO.Compression.CompressionMode.Compress);

Response.AppendHeader("Content-Encoding", "gzip");

In Umbraco 4.0.2 this works without problems, but in Umbraco 4.5.2 results in "invalid content encoding" errors. The result won't even show in Firebug. Inspection of the HTTP stream in WireShark shows decoding errors, and the gzip encoded data seems to be present multiple times, each repetition being incomplete, so garbage actually. Really odd.

After some intensive research I can only conclude it must have something to do with the new Client Dependency Module. When in web.config I comment out the <modules> section entry  <add name="ClientDependencyModule" type="ClientDependency.Core.Module.ClientDependencyModule, ClientDependency.Core" /> the compression works normally as before, and the gzipped page is decoded and shown correctly. But when I again uncomment it I get the same rubbish.

I tested this in both IIS6 and 7 on different machines, and on the client side with different browsers, with the same problematic result. As far as I can see is not caused by IIS configuration settings. The compression problem seems to be linked to the combination of Umbraco 4.5.2 and its Client Dependency Module.

I'd really like to continue using page content compression. Anyone got an idea?

• Dean 13 posts 56 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:48
    Dean

I have encountered a similar problem with a new v6 build and gzip compression used by the Client Dependency framework. My shared hosting package provided by 1&1 does not support gzip however it looks as though Client Dependency is still trying to compress any data associated with the MVC site rendering.

Check this forum post: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/40747-v6-with-MVC-in-Medium-Trust-gives-Encoding-Error

It seems that this module is compressing content by default even on servers which cannot support it, what were you able to find out in regards to your issue on version 4? Were you able to disable the compression?

Thanks!

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 29, 2013 @ 03:00
    Shannon Deminick

I have commented on this issue here:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2203#comment=67-8714

Will see what I can find today but pretty sure the problem is that the content that CDF is attempting to read is already compressed by the time it reaches the filter. Just need to see if I can replicate this locally somehow. I've used the code listed above in my test project with CDF and it does work as expected.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft