Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 17:03
    Tim

File Locking on Umbraco.Config

Hi,

Running 4.0.4.2, users in the CMS are occasionally getting server timeout errors, with this in the event log:

Exception: System.IO.IOException

Message: The process cannot access the file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\callcredit.epiphanydev1.co.uk\data\umbraco.config' because it is being used by another process.

StackTrace:    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
       at umbraco.content.ClearDiskCache() in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\content.cs:line 656
       at umbraco.content.SaveContentToDisk(XmlDocument xmlDoc) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\content.cs:line 857
       at umbraco.content.<>c__DisplayClass10.<SaveContentToDiskAsync>b__f(Object ) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\content.cs:line 880
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

Is this caused by many users editing the back end at once, or is this something else?

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 17:27
    Stefan Kip

Having the same problem and I'm very curious what the answer is...

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 18:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Try setting "ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache" in your umbracoSettings.config to false.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 18:23
    Tom Fulton

Are you using load balancing?  If so it's reccomended to exclude umbraco.config from your file-replication, or it can cause a locking issue.  Not sure if it's the same issue though

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 19:38
    Stefan Kip

@Sebastiaan

But wouldn't that stop updating the XML cache? What's the behavior if one disables that setting?

Aug 09, 2010 @ 19:59
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yup, I believe the umbraco.config will only get updated periodically, perhaps only after a recycle of the app pool. Haven't tried this myself though.

• Tim 225 posts 690 karma points
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 20:03
    Tim

Hi,

I've seen the same behaviour in 4.5 although I'm not sure if it's the same issue.

Take a look at this report on codeplex and let me know if you think it's the same bug.
    http://bit.ly/aP1s3P

Aug 10, 2010 @ 08:54
    Sebastiaan Janssen

So, as I understand it from Richard Soeteman:

When ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache is disabled the umbraco.config is not created (recycle your app pool and it will be deleted). The contents of umbraco.config will be available in memory only. So after an app pool recycle the startup of the site will be slow (especially on large sites).

But it will definitely solve the disk access problem.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 10, 2010 @ 10:24
    Tim

Its not a load balanced box, but I'll try chnaging the setting and see if that works.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft