Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 15:30
    Chris Dunn

Umbraco USA Linked In Group

US Umbracians,

I have setup a group on linkedin.com for US based users of umbraco to help us communicate better, plan meetups, and connect with local umbraco resources.  I encourage US users to join the group and pass along the link to anyone currently using umbraco in the US or has a general interest in the project. 

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2116594

or

Search for Group: Umbraco USA

Please note there is still much love to non-US umbracians :)

Thanks,

Chris

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Jul 16, 2009 @ 04:08
    bob baty-barr

Chris, great idea... i would double check with NH and/or Per on the logo usage for the group... hope my membership request gets approved :P

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 03:27
    Chris Dunn

Bob,

I ran it by Pers and they're ok with the logo.  He suggested the name Umbraco USA sounded like a company, so any suggestions on a better name would be appreciated.

I'll see what I can do about approving you.  There's a pretty rigorous qualification process, but I'll do my best :)

-Chris

• Steve 1 post 20 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 20:24
    Steve

I'm new to all this, but I join the LinkedIn group.

Steve in San Diego

• Soeren Sprogoe 575 posts 259 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 21:49
    Soeren Sprogoe

Hi there,

nice initiative!

I'm the admin of "the other" unofficial Umbraco group on LinkedIn, and here's the screening process that I use (would be nice if its the same for all the groups):

First of all I'm sending out an automated response to all applicants that I encourage them to reply back to me describing how they use Umbraco, and give me a link or two to sites they have worked on in some way.

Failure to prove that they have actually worked with Umbraco will get them rejected. And ofcourse I send out a nice message telling the reason why, and that they are more than welcome to apply again in the future if they get something Umbraco based going.

Once in a while I run through all old requests that haven't responded back to me. If they haven't written anything about Umbraco on their profile, or link to an Umbraco based website, I reject their application.

The reason for this rather strict screening process is, that you'll initially get a lot of requests to join from recruiters and marketeers. In my eyes these are very unwelcome, as it will ruin the quality of the group as a ressource to find fellow Umbracians in your area/field. There's just no reason for people like that to be in the group and be able to access the group member list, other than for their own selfish purposes.

Unfortunately this process also hurts people who are just interested in Umbraco, and are maybe evaluating it for future use. But I always respond back to those people in a nice manner, explaining that there's really no value for them in the group as there's no "ressources" in it and no discussion going on. It is just an unofficial list of people working with Umbraco. And ofcourse I try to steer them in the right direction as to where they can find more information to help them in their quest.

I would love some comments on this process, and I think it would be a great idea if we could use similar approaches on how to accept members.

Best regards,
    Soeren Sprogoe

• Scott Blomfield 30 posts 57 karma points
    Jul 22, 2009 @ 21:40
    Scott Blomfield

I suppose it depends on your goal - a directory of people who have proved they used it, and used it successfully, or a directory of people that use umbraco and would like to help expand its use. I'm in the second camp with the user group I run (Tulsa Umbraco Users Group) - I have no association with either LinkedIn group.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft