Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• m 20 posts 43 karma points
    Jul 18, 2011 @ 10:48
    m

Mean Error:Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 91, position 24.

Hello Guys,

My U4.7 site stopped working after I tried to setup a multiple website publication in a single Umbraco Installation. I started setting up as per forum on how to but couldn't go pass below steps and had to rollback.

1. Added <useDomainPrefixes>true</useDomainPrefixes>  in the /config/umbracoSettings.config  (This is now set back to "false", still the site doesn't work)

2. Added a domain using the Umbraco's content context menu - "Manage Hosting"

Please help as my site is completely inaccessible. Thanks very much.

Below are the errors.

Error

Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 91, position 24.

Error Trace

The type initializer for 'umbraco.content' threw an exception.

Screen-shot

http://our.umbraco.org/media/upload/ebcdce0d-99c3-452d-a595-56e391b79ee6/rs/Invalid%20character%20in%20the%20given%20encoding.%20Line%2091,%20position%2024.%202011-07-18%2009-34-26.png

Jul 18, 2011 @ 10:54
    m

Sorry couldn't attached the screenshot in the orginal post. Here it is, Thanks

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 18, 2011 @ 11:23
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Seems like there's something weird going on with the XML cache, could you try right-clicking on Content and choosing "Republish entire site". That will rebuild the whole cache and could solve the problem.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 18, 2011 @ 11:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi M

What characters do you have in your domain names?

/Jan

Jul 18, 2011 @ 11:35
    m

Thanks guys for the reply.

@seb

To make it worse, I can't even access the Umbraco panel. i.e. www.domain.com/umbraco, same error.

@Jan

As a precaution I replaced the umbracoSettings.config file from a backup, yet the error is occurring.

Jul 18, 2011 @ 11:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hmm, seems like a different issue then. But just to make sure, could you delete the /App_Data/umbraco.config and do (in Windows) Start > Run > iisreset > OK and then try again?

Jul 18, 2011 @ 11:50
    m

Guys finally, got it to work!

What I did

REuploading the config file from a local folder backup

ISSUE

I think the config xml FORMAT has got mixed up (may be the special characters in the file)

WHY DIDNT IT WORK WHEN I REPLACED THE FILE BEFORE

I kept COPYING text i.e. replacing the content of the config file through the default winscp editor (i.e. WINSCP > Open the file > Copy the text from Backup file to the production config file via WINSCP editor). Where as when I REuploaded the xml file it copied the file with the format intact.

I think a Visual Studio like IDE should be used to edit these XML files in the future.

Does it make sense :)

Jul 18, 2011 @ 11:58
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ah alright, yeah, I've had content encoding issues before so that makes perfect sense. The WinSCP editor probably saves in a different encoding, maybe there's an option to change this? If not, maybe you can tell it to use a different editing tool. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft