Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eddie Foreman 215 posts 288 karma points
    Jun 18, 2010 @ 03:55
    Eddie Foreman

Empty Tree Nodes

Hi All

A dev version of a site has been transferred onto a live server for the client to test, thanks to those that help :-)

When I login into Umbraco all of the tree nodes (content, media, users ...) are empty.  If I click the content icon, a JavaScript error happens:

parent.openDashboard is not a function
    javascript:parent.openDashboard('content');

A similar message appear on the other folders.  It appears as if the relevant JS files are missing. But after looking and comparing the local files with the live files, it looks likes correct ?  I've doubled checked the permissions and the hosting company has assured me that they are set for network service, so I don't think it's permission related.

Version Details:

umbraco v 4.0.3 (Assembly version: 1.0.3680.15881)
    IIS 7.5

Been struggling with this, so any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 18, 2010 @ 12:26
    Ismail Mayat

Eddie,

I seem to recall this issue but it was browser specific think it was for firefox and it only happened on our live server on dev it worked fine.  Which browser are you using and do you get this with all browsers.

Regards

Ismail

Jun 18, 2010 @ 14:10
    Eddie Foreman

Hi Ismail

Seems to be consistent under both the Mac OS, Win 7 and Vista.  Tested on the following browsers FF 3.6, Google Chrome 5.0, Safari 4, IE 7 & 8. 

Did you manage to resolve the issue? 

Regards

Eddie

Jun 18, 2010 @ 19:18
    Eddie Foreman

Hi All

If I use the search feature, I can get to each of the pages.  When using the media picker, i get the error:

parent.openDashboard is not a function

Watching through Firebug, I get the following, with a reference to xloadtree.js

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <tree>
      <tree nodeID="" text="Error" iconClass="" action="" menu="" rootSrc="" src="" icon="" openIcon="" nodeType="NullTree" hasChildren="false" />
    </tree>

Looking at some of posts, it seem that it may be caused by an incorrect version of the ajx toolkit, the version I have for Umbraco 4.0.3 is 1.0.10920.0.  Is this the coorect version or should I update this and the web config for IIS 7.5.

Thanks

Eddie

Jun 19, 2010 @ 12:16
    Eddie Foreman

Hi All

Really stuck here, I asked the hosting company to check the permissons after seeing this in a post:

>
    > Okay, just to document this for others who might be having this problem,
    > but
    > after combing through the application event log in the event viewer, we
    > found out Umbraco could not write to the windows temp folder with a certain
    > account. Setting these rights solved the issue.
    >
    > Thanks Ferdy. We had this exact problem on our production server (Windows
    > 2003). To be explicit, I have an umbracoUser Windows account that is part
    > of
    > the IIS_WPG group. It is the identity used for the application pool that
    > includes umbracoCMS. After allowing the IIS_WPG group to modify
    > "C:\Windows\Temp", the admin console trees instantly started working.
    >
    > ************************************************
    >
    > 

This was checked and settings appear to be fine, the event logs are showing no errors. 

From what I can see the parent.openDashboard function is used to control/load the content tree and uses the AJAXControlToolKit.dll in the bin folder.  I've managed to replicate the issue locally and it either happens when I delete the AJAXControlToolKit.dll or the wrong version is used. I'm hoping that this  explains whats happening on the server. 

Locally I'm using the version shipped with Umbraco, so in theory it should work on the live server. 

Please help Umbraco members, your my only hope!

Thanks

Eddie

Jun 29, 2010 @ 11:50
    Eddie Foreman

Hi Guys

After several hours I finally manged to get this resloved.   The content trees appeared after removing the following from the web.config:

<dependentAssembly>
             <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
             <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />
         </dependentAssembly>

Would be greatful if someone could repsond, so that I can mark this as resolved.

Thanks

Eddie

• Antoniadis 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 01, 2010 @ 14:49
    Antoniadis

Hi Eddie,

I've been struggling with the same problem. No nodes showing in the trees...
    I'm using Windows7, IIS7, IE8 .Net4, SqlExpress2008, Umbraco v4.5

I removed the from the config like you suggested but still no nodes are appearing :-/

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thx,
    Tony

• Kim Løwert 130 posts 116 karma points
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:17
    Kim Løwert

Hi Eddie and others,

I have run into the same issue today with v4.5 on Windows7, IIS7, Google Chrome .Net4, SqlExpress2008, Umbraco v4.5.

When tracing the calls in Google Chrome I find that the /umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx does not return anything. On sites where it does work it returns a collection of JSON objects. I can't seem to find what is causing this error. Have any of you guys solved this issue?

Regards,

Kim

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Kim, have you tried all of the tips from this wiki article?

• Kim Løwert 130 posts 116 karma points
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 18:01
    Kim Løwert

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you very much for your reply. The problem-solver for me seemed to be the unblocking the zip-file after download in properties pane for the file. See below.

Then unzipping the umbraco 4.5.1 (after having clicked unblock) and running it from VS2010, .Net 4.0, SQL Server 2008 Express it seemed to run perfectly with menus etc.

Once again thanks a lot. The wiki page was helpful.

Cheers, 

Kim

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft