Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Karl Kopp 121 posts 227 karma points
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 05:46
    Karl Kopp

Macro rendering in backend over HTTPS / SSL

Hi all - we're having some problems on a new Umbraco install. The site forces all users to go over HTTPS / SSL, even for the backend. When you click on any page that contains any macro (XSLT/.NET), the page takes exactly 100 seconds to load in the backend. This is with both umbracoUseSSL=true or forcing SSL in the IIS configuration. There has been a codeplex workitem raised that mentions something similar but I can still say this is happening in the latest release (4.0.4.2).

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/14966

This is holding up our live deployment so any advice would be greatly appreciated...

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 09, 2010 @ 05:52
    Aaron Powell

Why does the back end need to by by HTTPS? If they need that kind of security for the site wouldn't it be better to run a separate CMS instance inside a DMZ and then publish using the web services to live?

Do you have any visibility as to what's taking so long to respond? Have you looked at the Http traffic with Charlse (or fiddler) to see what is taking so long.

Are you getting CPU spikes?

Does it work at optimal speeds if you're on a page with no macro's in the WYSIWYG? Can you implement a solution where you don't need macros in the WYSIWYG? (I only use macros that way if I desperately need the CMS editors to be able to add the macro to any page, otherwise it just adds unnecessary overhead)

Jun 09, 2010 @ 06:10
    Karl Kopp

1) It's government so it all needs to be SSL :) An emergency option is to setup a SSL reverse proxy that then speaks HTTP to the server in the DMZ, but really Umbraco should be able to do SSL in the backend (thats more fun to fix :)

2) Watched the request with Charlie, and form initial request to the end of the response is exactly 100 seconds. There is only one HTTP GET request. At the SQL end, all the data is returned in the first 500ms or so. CPU does nothing. There are no other HTTP requests to the server.

3) Remove the Macro from the content, page loads fine. Add it back, page loads slow. Used both .NET and XSLT macros. If you go over HTTP all Macros load fine. 

4) Added a clean new Macro that just output Hello, and worked fine. Then added one that loops over a few nodes, and page load is back to exactly 100 seconds.

There are lots of technical solutions to work around the problem, but the reality is the problem shouldn't exist :) I'm surprised no one else uses the backend with HTTPS? 

Jun 09, 2010 @ 06:18
    Karl Kopp

Update - for XSLT Macros, seems like checking the "Render content in editor" property causes the issue. So far, in the .NET controls, this property has no effect.

Jun 09, 2010 @ 06:27
    Karl Kopp

Actually I lie - if you uncheck render in editor for the .NET controls as well, they load quickly...

Jun 09, 2010 @ 06:31
    Aaron Powell

So it's only a problem with macros which are interacting with the XML cache (either node factory or via XSLT)?

Jun 09, 2010 @ 06:43
    Aaron Powell

It's probably something to do with the inefficiencies at loading the XML into the WYSIWYG macro. Unless you need to see it I'd have it not render in the editor.

Although not a real fix it'll get you live I'm sure.

And like I said I hardly ever allow macros in the editor, I don't have enough faith in the users to not break things :P

Jun 09, 2010 @ 08:32
    Karl Kopp

Going to raise a ticket in CodePlex....

• Tom Cowling 144 posts 342 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 13:55
    Tom Cowling

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but we also have this issue. We've been playing around with the back end and basically this is the scenario:

We have umbraco set up with https so that we can edit from home (it has no ip restriction). Editing any page as long as it doesn't have a macro on is fine. If you click to edit a page containing a macro it takes ages to load locally. If you close the brower and re-open, everything is fine and quick until you click to edit a page with a macro then the same thing happens.

We've turned on https by changing "enablessl" to true.

Are there any solutions to this so far?

Thanks,

Tom

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Dec 29, 2010 @ 14:55
    Rik Helsen

Same issue still exists in 4.5.2, only solution is to deactive the "Render content in editor" property

• Andrew Waegel 126 posts 126 karma points
    May 18, 2011 @ 23:18
    Andrew Waegel

Just got bitten by the same bug as well. As a temporary workaround I've added URL Rewrite directives to just send umbraco/login.aspx to SSL, and then send the resulting umbraco/umbraco.aspx page to regular HTTP.

I too have lots of macros in the wysiwyg editor and would prefer to keep it that way. Any official guidance from a HQ team member?

UPDATE

Turns out I've misunderstood the problem. It's still possible to use macros in the editor with 'Use in Editor' checked; it's the other box, 'Render content in editor' that must be UNchecked to not cause these problems with the backend. This works for me and will hopefully help others.

- Andrew

• Dave Clinton 31 posts 106 karma points
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 12:19
    Dave Clinton

Thanks for the  'Render content in editor untick' suggestion this was causing us grief on one of our sites!

• Murray Roke 502 posts 965 karma points c-trib
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 20:30
    Murray Roke

I assume this has been fixed? if so which version is it fixed in? is there a you-track issue? I coudn't find one.

Cheers.

• Murray Roke 502 posts 965 karma points c-trib
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 21:16
    Murray Roke

Hrm, ok it's still broken in v6.0.0-RC

I've created a youtrack issue here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1532

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft