Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• carrie 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 09:07
    carrie

Security Exception on Shared Server

I've seen this error on many posts and can't find a solution that seemed to help.

I'm almost to step 3/5 in install.. it's setting up the database successfully and when I click next I get a Security Exception:

[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]

- The client is hosting on 1and1.com, ASP 2.0
    - I cannot change permissions to root, but i made all files have full permission.
    - I also can't change the user in the app pool to Network Services.

Does anyone know of any other suggestions to get around this security error?

Jun 03, 2010 @ 10:09
    carrie

Can anyone tell me what temp files Umbraco places in the root directory upon installation? If it creates a folder or files then perhaps I can create them and give them full permissions as a workaround, since I cannot give my root directory permissions..

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 10:37
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Carrie, it could be the permissions on the ASP.NET temp folder - that compiles any in-line code (in ASPX, ASCX and XSLT files).

If you have access, try taking a look at the permissions on either:

• C:\Windows\Temp
    • C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Set write permissions for whatever user is set for the application-pool.  If you don't have access, speak to your web-hosts.

Good luck, Lee.

Jun 03, 2010 @ 16:27
    carrie

I set permissions on the folders mentioned above.. but I didn't think those files on my local machine mattered since this is hosted on a shared server?

1and1 tech support did not know what application pool meant

Thank you for the suggestions :)

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 17:14
    webangelo

Can you run full trust?  Check for the following two tags in the web.config...

In appSettings:

<add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="false" />

In system.web:

<trust level="Full" originUrl="" />

Please be aware that many hosts do not allow Full Trust, so if this doesn't work or creates other problems you may want to set them back to what they were previously.

Another thought, if this is due to a lack of access to the root, will 1and1 set the permissions for you?  I have a specific request that I have used in the past that other hosts have been willing to do that works, but I haven't worked with 1and1 before.

If your client is willing to move from 1and1 I know of some hosts that can host a site for you in shared hosting.  I also resell hosting specifically for umbraco installs, so let me know if you have any questions.

--Chris

Jun 03, 2010 @ 17:40
    carrie

Hi Chris, thank you for the reply

1and1 won't set permissions to the root for me, the client is unwilling to move, and I checked the settings for the lines above and it is Full Trust. However, I had it set to Medium Trust previously and getting same Security Exception

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH nightmare host.

• TKH 13 posts 32 karma points
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 18:12
    TKH

Carrie,

Sorry that you are having the install problems.

Just to clarify, are you trying to install 4.0.4.1?

As an experiment, I changed the trust settings from "Full" to "Medium" through the IIS Manager for an already successfully installed 4.1 Beta 2 local site and got the same kind of error that you are getting:

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

TKH

Jun 03, 2010 @ 18:52
    carrie

Hi TKH,
    I've tried both Full and Medium Trust, getting same error. The client is moving to a dedicated server with another company, after talking with the new tech support I'm confidant we can get this going..

Thanks!

Jun 03, 2010 @ 18:53
    carrie

And Chris! I see you're in RPB, I used to live there too. Loved it :)

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 19:08
    webangelo

Carrie,

I see you are in Ocala.  Happy to see another FL Umbracian. 

I hope things go well with your project. I'm glad your client was willing to move to a more flexible arrangement.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need any more help.  You can email me at umbraco[at]webangelo.net.

--Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft