Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 10:34
    Mikael Mørup

Multiple umbraco installations on one server

Is it possible to have multiple (or at least two) Umbraco installations on one server ?

The should use the same SQL server, but of course different databases on that server.

I have found info on how to have multiple sites in one Umbraco installation but what i really want is each site to be a separate IIS site

I want complete separation between the sites, so the should have their own wwwroot folder structure.

How do it set this up ?

Thanks

Mikael

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 10:49
    Dirk De Grave

Sure that's possible, just create another iis site, pointing to a different root folder. And make sure both sites use a different db on the same sql server.

Both root folders will have their "copy" of the umbraco installation files

Cheers,

/Dirk

Mar 04, 2010 @ 11:44
    Mikael Mørup

Oh it's so simple that i missed the obvious.

Thanks Dirk

Mikael

• Markus Johansson 1918 posts 5785 karma points MVP c-trib
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 12:55
    Markus Johansson

Works great! I have had around 6-10 sites running on one server!

Good luck!

Mar 04, 2010 @ 13:59
    Mikael Mørup

So i have one more problem.

I created a folder for my site, a new DB, and a new IIS site pointing to the new folder with host header and all.

Copyed all Umbraco files / folders to the new folder, and assigned permissions to the folders.

Then i usually go to my browser and load "localhost" to strat the Umbraco cunfiguration process, but that of course shows the site already there.

How do i start the configuration process for the new site ?

Mikael

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 04, 2010 @ 14:13
    Dirk De Grave

Mikael,

Are you on a xp machine? It would explain why you still get the *other* website instead of the new one? If so, you should consider using IISAdmin tool to allow multiple websites to be run from the same machine (altho only one can be active)

Copied all files/folders? From the old site? If so, did you check the web.config to point to the new database? Also, what's the version info in web.config? It should be cleared for fresh installs.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Mar 04, 2010 @ 14:29
    Mikael Mørup

No i'm on a win. 2003 server and it's a fresh 4.0.3 install, but i figured it out.

I made some stupid error with the hoastheader, fixed it,  and  just browsed the new site from the "Browse" menu item in the IIS manager, then i got the correct config process started and everything seems to be OK by now.

Thanks for all your help.

• Angad Bhat 22 posts 42 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 13:55
    Angad Bhat

Hi Dirk,

I have to set multiple sites under same IIS. Can you please explain what you mean by "pointing to a different root folder" ?  I've already installed a site under wwwroot folder of my box. Can I create a new root folder(say wwwroot1) and then install umbraco under it?

I am using windows 2008 and iis 7.

Thanks.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 16:55
    Rich Green

Angad,

You just need to set this up as a new site as you would any IIS site, see instructions here, ensure that you enter a host name (or use a different port)

http://support.gearhost.com/KB/a202/how-to-add-a-website-in-iis7-windows-2008.aspx

So under wwwroot you can have

wwwroot/UmbracoSite1

wwwroot/UmbracoSite2

wwwroot/UmbracoSite3

Make sense?

Rich

• Angad Bhat 22 posts 42 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 18:02
    Angad Bhat

Ok I understand. Thanks for the reply Rich.

Just one question, i already have a site under wwwroot. Can I simply copy the current umbraco installation files and paste under a new folder (as you said umbracosite1) and change the physical path of the site IIS to point to the new folder. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Angad

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 24, 2010 @ 18:05
    Rich Green

Yes, you can copy the site.

Remember each install will need it's own database, so set this up and change your database connection string in your web.config file and you're all set.

Not sure if the file permissions will copy over correctly so worth checking these if you have a problem.

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft