Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rody van Sambeek 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 17, 2010 @ 09:05
    Rody van Sambeek

Umbraco with Oracle

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to use Oracle as database store for Umbraco (4+). I've found this thread: http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst6998_Umbraco-and-oracle.aspx but there seem to be no news about that?

Is it possible and does somebody has experience with it? And is it "update-safe"?

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    May 15, 2010 @ 17:31
    Nik Wahlberg

Hi all,

I am hoping to "revive" this topic of discussion in the hopes that someone has a solution for Oracle. We have an enterprise project coming up and I would LOVE to be able to leverage the aswsomeness of Umbraco for this. But, no Oracle, no Umbraco for this one which would suck :(

So, any insight would be much appreciated. 

Best,
    Nik

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    May 17, 2010 @ 01:03
    Aaron Powell

We looking into using Oracle and writing an Oracle database provider, but essentially it was going to be just way too hard.

Although the Umbraco data layer is provider based changing to a provider is very difficult. Umbraco's SQL statements are all hard coded in place, meaning that unless the statement is tested against a particular database it can't be guaranteed to work.

It would be a lot easier (and cheaper) to invest in a solution which has built-in Oracle support, take that from someone who's actually looked at what would need to be done :P.

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 14:41
    Nik Wahlberg

Thanks for getting back to me on that Slace. I was assuming that would be the answer, so that for confirming. 

-- Nik

• Al 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 13, 2010 @ 00:49
    Al

Any update on this, or anyone else working on this?

We want to adopt Umbraco but need to run it using Oracle.

At December 2010 is it still the case that we would have to write the Oracle data provider ourselves? 

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 13, 2010 @ 02:26
    Aaron Powell

There is no plans for v4.x to support Oracle.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft