• gadalf 6 posts 26 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 19:04
    gadalf

Installing umbaco

I am trying to test umbaco,

I have downloaded umbaco and have uploaded them httpdocs/umbaco

I run my website.com/umbaco and get this error:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

How to resolve it?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 19:29
    Dennis Aaen

Hi gadalf and welcome to our,

Sad that you get this error, but what you could try to get more information about why you are getting this error, try to change the RemoteOnly value in the webconfig file, to Off, then you should get a more detailed error message.

Seach after customErrors in the webconfig file, and you will find this section,

<system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />
    </sytem.web>

Change it to Off and upload the file to your webhost, and refresh the url

But remember to change it back when you have solved the issue.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Dec 30, 2014 @ 19:54
    gadalf

Thank you for your quick reply,

That is what I had done before posting here but I still get the same.

Check it here:

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="off" />

<trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />

<httpRuntime requestValidationMode="2.0" enableVersionHeader="false" targetFramework="4.5" />

Dec 30, 2014 @ 20:05
    Dennis Aaen

Hi gadalf

Try to change it from off to Off, can´t remember if it´s case sensitive.

Hope this helps, to get more information about the error.

/Dennis

Dec 30, 2014 @ 20:17
    gadalf

yes, I checnged it to Off and here is the new error :

I am not very familiar with windows server :

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error: 

Line 87:       of SQL Server (including SQL Azure and SQL  Compact) instead of to SQL Server Express.
    Line 88:       -->
    Line 89: <sessionState mode="InProc" customProvider="DefaultSessionProvider"> Line 90:       <providers>
    Line 91:         <add name="DefaultSessionProvider" type="System.Web.Providers.DefaultSessionStateProvider, System.Web.Providers, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" />

Source File: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\xxxxx\httpdocs\umbraco\web.config    Line: 89 

Dec 30, 2014 @ 20:26
    Dennis Aaen

Hi gadalf

What hosting provider did you use, it could seems that you´re getting this because that you need to run Umbraco under full trust, and perhaps your are running in meduim trust.

I have seen this error where the problem was the trust level. If you see the minimum system requirements for Umbraco http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/system-requirements you can see it needs full trust. So try to take contact to the support of your hosting provider and make sure that they are running full trust.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Dec 30, 2014 @ 20:31
    gadalf

ok, I will contact them

Dec 30, 2014 @ 21:49
    gadalf

I have contacted them and here is their reply:

"By default, trust level is set at "Full"."

Dec 30, 2014 @ 23:24
    Dennis Aaen

Hi gadalf,

Okay that a start, then make sure that you have the right file permissions on your files and folder for the Umbraco installation you can find the list here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions. Also make sure that the app pool is run by the NETWORK SERVICE and IUSR account having full access.

If it not works, perhaps that you should try to get back to the support of your hosting provider perhaps they can see what´s needs to be done to get your Umbraco installation up and running just to check if everything has been setup as it should.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Dec 31, 2014 @ 11:33
    gadalf

I changed permistions and get this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 87:       of SQL Server (including SQL Azure and SQL  Compact) instead of to SQL Server Express.
    Line 88:       -->
    Line 89: Line 90:       
    Line 91:         

Source File: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\xxxxxxx\httpdocs\umbraco\web.config    Line: 89

Show Additional Configuration Errors:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.33440

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 31, 2014 @ 11:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gadalf

Did you also make sure that your hosting company meet the system requirements, which are mentioned in the link Dennis provided in his former post? It's fine that the host is running full trust but if they don't have the correct dependencies installed, which Umbraco requires to work then it won't help much (Like ASP.NET framework version etc.).

Have you asked them directly if they in fact do support umbraco? Just to make sure.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft