Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• CB 10 posts 31 karma points
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 22:12
    CB

Upgrade 7.1.8 to 7.2.0 Fails

For as straightforward as the upgrade process seems to be, I despise it because it never works smoothly.

Followed the general upgrade guide, WinMerged all /config/ files, and copied /bin/, /umbraco/, and /umbraco_client/.

I copied over the db connection string, but am unsure if the umbracoConfigurationStatus should be set to "7.1.8" or "7.2.0" ?

In either case, when the Umbraco installer finishes my web.config is set to 7.1.8 and the {site}/umbraco url renders a blank page instead of the dashboard login.

What am I'm doing wrong?

If I start over and repeat the steps I can get the "Upgrade" installer now, but when I click Continue it errors out and adds this to the log:

INFO  Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext - [Thread 107] CurrentVersion different from configStatus: '7.2.0','7.1.8'

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 09, 2014 @ 05:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi CB and welcome to our :)

Sorry to hear about this bad experience - I'm wondering what the error you're getting is?

What happens ifyou change the configStatus in the web.config manually to be 7.2.0? Usually that would make the installer finish properly so you would see the upgrade screen when trying to access the backoffice afterwards.

I suspect it might be a permission issue where the network service/iusr accounts don't have sufficient permissions and are not having write access for some reason.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• chakib 11 posts 41 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 19:41
    chakib

i try it but don't work and i have the same error

Mar 25, 2015 @ 17:38
    CB

Hi Jan,

Sorry I had lost track of this post. But its still an issue we're having during every upgrade (to the point that I'm concerned we aren't properly upgrading at all O_o).

Changing the web.config manually always results in the "CurrentVersion different from configStatus" regardless of the values used. The only way to get to the dashboard is to enter the umbraco version that we are upgrading to (ie. 7.2.4). That let's us see the dashboard but, obviously, skips the entire install step so I'm not confident changes are being made.

I'll check the user permissions, but if there were a problem I suspect we'd see far more frequent issues working in the dashboard or updating packages than simply trying to upgrade the CMS core.

I don't understand why this issue occurs so regularly. There are dozens of posts related to the upgrade process and none of them seem to have resolutions other than to "check permissions". If there are any specific permissions requirements for upgrading we should get them added to the upgrade documentation.

Mar 25, 2015 @ 18:12
    CB

Set the most broad permissions on the entire project folder (just to save time). Made no difference to the upgrade process. We still see

CurrentVersion different from configStatus: '7.2.4','7.2.3'

in the log file immediately after clicking the Continue button.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 16:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi CB

That sure is odd...not sure what could be wrong - When you say the most broad permissions was that like the "EVERYONE" role? Otherwise it might be worth trying out (Just for testing, it should of course be revoked afterwards)...at least that can rule out the permission idea...if it does not work then it's related to something else. If it does work...well...then it's permissions somehow.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft