Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Benjamin Kennington 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jul 01, 2014 @ 11:24
    Benjamin Kennington

Fresh Install first time and login failed

SO Im posting here again because I noticed this entire forum has 3700 posts and over 2700 of them are related to not being able to login, and ZERO of them have any responses that list any fix.Can someone please tell me what is the purpose of a CMS you can't login to?Furthermore what is the purpose of a forum without moderators and thousands of people having the same problem with no response from Umbraco whatsoever?Sorry if I seem frustrated but I stuck my neck out trying to give umbraco a chance and now it appears this is just a bunch of junk and I should have never wasted my time. It seems like it might be a scam to force people to buy the support, otherwise they wouldn't leave the forum such an abandoned wasteland of unsolved posts.The only people to fix this problem went back to an older version of umbraco. Why did they release version 7 if it was so unstable and untested? There is not a single CMS out there with 3k people having the same problem on a new release. 75% of your users are having the same problem.It's like they test this on two mac laptops and then push it out to the world. Where is the QA in this product? My God man where are the people that know how to fix this crap???

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 17:27
    jaygreasley

Hi Benjamin,

You seem to have had a bad introduction to Umbraco, I know that can be frustrating.

Could you detail your setup, version of Umbraco, what you did to install it etc and maybe post some screenshots or error details and there may be someone in the community who can assist you.

Jay

• Shane 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 04:35
    Shane

Looks like you never got an answer. I'm looking for the answer to this myself. I just installed, and i'm prompted for a login. I do not even have a database set up yet. I wasn't really expecting to have to reverse engineer anything just to get logged in?

I basically uncompressed the zip, created an IIS website, created a blank DB in sql 2014 but haven't pointed umbraco to it yet, and i can't log in when i visit localhost:2222/umbraco.

Please let me know what the default account is?

Oct 29, 2014 @ 05:05
    jaygreasley

hi ya,

did you unblock the zip first? - see http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-manually for info

hth

/j

Oct 29, 2014 @ 05:05
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 13:21
    Benjamin Kennington

yes, I ran into this multiple times. I called umbraco support adn they wouldn't help me. I was told to open tickets on this forum which were never answered or moderated by anyone at umbraco.

It seems they only care about big clients with service contracts over $1k/mo because they help those client out all the time but don't even bother to reply to my questions I take time to document.

Here was the problem; there is a bug in the umbraco installtion through webmatrix. It could be due to older installations or just corruption in downloads.

Here was the fix: completely uninstall unbraco, and reinstall. For some reason it seems to work the second time around. My assumption is the webmatrix installer hangs and doesn't have the needed files. The second time when the webmatrix files are installed it seems to work better and you get the initial config page. It generally takes me installing it twice on any machine that hasn't had webmatrix before.

There is no fix it appears until they fix the loader from webmatrix.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 14:13
    Sebastiaan Janssen

We don't NOT care about you it's just that we have thousands of users and we are 9 people providing you with Umbraco the core CMS, Contour the forms builder, Courier the deploy manager, Umbraco TV teaching you all about how to work with Umbraco and on top of that we also teach courses and bring you a great conference every year. 9 people. NINE.
    Here we are, this is us, the people behind Umbraco: http://umbraco.com/about-us/team

So we care, a lot, to make your experience as easy as possible so that we don't HAVE to support you, which is why we make elaborate installation documentation so that you can help yourself. http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/

We are 9 people and support doesn't scale, at all. So we hire more people, to help with support.. but we need money for that, which is why we're asking for some money to scale our support. Starts at €3000 a year (not a month, a whole year). http://umbraco.com/products/confidence

As for the reason you're not getting a reply here: this is a community forum and people are nice here. I was always taught that if you have nothing nice to say then you'd better say nothing at all. Maybe people were just overwhelmed with your shocking statistics (I love that you managed to get the scientific number of 75% failing installs from somewhere).
    :-)
    I'm not mad, just a bit taken aback by your anger.

Now. Back to the problem at hand: we don't control all of our WebMatrix install, most of it is handled by Microsoft (good luck getting someone to support you there... ;-)). So while it's unfortunate that you have such bad experiences with installing through WebMatrix, the only thing I can do about it is to ask you for log files to figure when and how things go bad. We need all the information you can get to pass it onto Microsoft.

As for Shane, I have no idea how you even got to the /umbraco login screen if you haven't ran the setup. When you go to /umbraco you should be redirected to /install and you will get asked a few questions (choose Customize if you want to use SQL server). So what I'd recommend is indeed to unblock the zip file, unzip it, point IIS at the folder where you unzipped and then open the site that you created in IIS. Don't edit the web.config upfront, all will be well if you follow the steps in the documentation.

Oct 30, 2014 @ 14:48
    Benjamin Kennington

chill out sebastiaan

I was never mad. I bought the online subscription, still have it. obtained all the new medals. The documentation is great, responses to end users vary.

$3k/yr is a hefty investment that allows only a few the chance to help. If you had something to fill the gap between the movies and 3k support you would have a much larger base imo. If you would have offered a one time help ticket for $150-$250 that would be great to get a high level dev involved for a few minutes.

Either was I was left to figure out everything on my own, and as documented I found the problem to be the webmatrix. I didn't say there was any problem with umbraco, just with the webmatrix loader upon first install on a new machine. Subsequent installs work fine, but for some reason if you don't have webmatrix and you try to install webmatrix and umbraco all at the same time it fails the umbraco portion of the install. If you don't use webmatrix it works fine all the time getting to the initial config page.

I said the problem didn't seem to occur on machines with webmatrix already installed. I do appreciate someone finally jumping in the ticket though. If I could afford the 3k to help you grow I would gladly do it. I like the product but I am not rich.

Ben

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 30, 2014 @ 17:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Guys

Ok, so we actually learned something new when one is trying to install Umbraco using Webmatrix, which is a good thing!

@Benjamin: If you do have the time and is willing to would you mind adding this piece of information to the installation documentation? I think it's something that many people could benefit from and the more we know about what things to be aware of the easier it is to make recommendation for newcommers etc.

If you don't have the time etc. - Please let me know and I'll see if I can fit it in my schedule at some point.

Cheers, Jan

Oct 30, 2014 @ 23:55
    Benjamin Kennington

I agree. I do not work for Umbraco so do not know how to update the documentation. I made this same point because everyone working with umbraco the first time will go through the same process, and lots of people just gave up. Since you do direct people to use the webmatrix installer it would be nice to have more documentation to cover problems reported to you. If I can help in any way just let me know.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 31, 2014 @ 10:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Benjamin

I don't work for Umbraco either but occasionally I do contributions by either fixing bugs in the core, add stuff to the documentation or try to help people out here on Our - U just to try to give something back to the project. After all the core of Umbraco is open source and ressources at the HQ are limited currently and with a large bunch of tasks that needs to be done.

If you're familiar with using Github you can actually click the "Edit" button on this document http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-with-microsoft-webmatrix, which will take you to the specific page on Github where you can edit the documentation from.

If you know nothing about Github etc. I'll be happy to update the documentation during the weekend when I have some time of from work.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft