Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22220 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Oct 21, 2009 @ 23:12
    Matt Brailsford

Admin stopped working

Hi Guys,

I've had a site running for a while no problem, however recently for no apparent reason the admin has stopped working.

I can login, and the admin interface displays, however all I see in the left hand panel is the top level folder and nothing else. I can move between admin sections (the icons at the bottom) but they all just do the same, displaying the top level node and nothing else.

The site itself is till running, and the database is fine, so I'm a bit stumped as to what is wrong as like I say it's been working fine.

Anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks

Matt

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 00:19
    Aaron Powell

Can you use something like HTTP Fiddler, Charles or even the Firebug net tab to inspect the request to the tree service (treeInit.aspx I think). If it's failing it'll fail silently as it's an AJAX request.

That will give more information and make it easier to work out the cause and solution

Oct 22, 2009 @ 13:35
    Matt Brailsford

I've used Fiddler to take a look, and it seems ok to me, It is returning status 200. I'm guessing this makes a call to umbraco/tree.aspx for the tree itself, however it looks like this is just returning an empty tree

Oct 22, 2009 @ 13:36
    Matt Brailsford

This is what tree.aspx is returning

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> 
    <tree />
  • bayshield 50 posts 65 karma points
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 14:15
    bayshield

You didn't by any chance overwrite the AjaxControlTookit with a newer version?  It should be version 1.0.*

Oct 22, 2009 @ 14:34
    Matt Brailsford

Not that I'm aware of.

There hasn't been any upload activity from our end recently. Could this be something the hosting provider would have done?

Many thanks

Matt

• Anette 41 posts 59 karma points
    Oct 22, 2009 @ 15:07
    Anette

Hi,

I had the same problem earlier today with our host www.unoeuro.com but somehow it got fixed... I didn't contact them (had other things to do). So I would say its something the hosting provider did!

Anette

Oct 22, 2009 @ 16:43
    Matt Brailsford

Anbody know what the specific issue is, so that I can point the hosting company in the right direction?

Many thanks

Matt

Oct 22, 2009 @ 16:44
    Matt Brailsford

Anybody know what the specific issue is? so that I can point the hosting company in the right direction.

Many thanks

Matt

Oct 22, 2009 @ 21:19
    Matt Brailsford

I've spoken with the hosting company and they say they have made no recent updates, so won't help unless I provide more usefull information.

I'm really not sure how to debug this, as it is hosted on a shared host and I don't have the same problem localy. When I access the tree.aspx page using the querystring parameters used by the actual page request, I just get what I posted previously, but if I remove the app parameter I get a Null node back. So it sounds like it knows to get the right tree, but for whatever reason it's returning no results.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Oct 22, 2009 @ 21:52
    Matt Brailsford

Ok, dunno why, but found another thread on a similar matter, and resetting the permissions on the bin folder seemed to resolve it.

Dunno why, as nothing had changed, but least it's working now.

Thanks guys for your help.

Matt

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jul 30, 2010 @ 16:51
    Rik Helsen

I just ran into the same issue after migrating a website from staging to production server... what do you mean exactly by resetting the permissions ?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft