Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stevie B. Gibson 70 posts 30 karma points
    Nov 29, 2013 @ 01:37
    Stevie B. Gibson

What forum package for Umbraco 7?

Hi,

I've searched in this forum but I find only old posts.

I've installed from scratch Umbraco v7 in a virtual directory. Now I would like to integrate with a forum but I can't found a real solution:
    yaf: have a legacy layout and there's no updated instructions on how to have it work with Umbraco.
    mvcForum: is suggested in nForum page but installation seems to be more an hack than an integration (see there). I'll try to install it, maybe with v7 is simpler.
    nForum: problems installing on v7 (see below), it should work?

The question is: in 2013, with v7, what is the suggested forum engine to integrate with Umbraco?

Now the problems with nForum:

I tried to install it from the repository, it failed with a File Not Found Error on install.ascx. This was because the installation copied files under \umbraco\umbraco\* instead of \umbraco\*.
    I moved files to the right location, reloaded the page and installation seems to be completed.
    When I access a forum page I receive the error:

Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent> Umbraco.Web.PublishedContentExtensions.Take(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent>, Int32)'.

I'll investigate further but it seems that the Take method is missing in v7.

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Dec 03, 2013 @ 00:32
    David Zweben

Umbraco 7.0 was just released, and it's an unusual release in that it broke compatibility with 'property editors' created for earlier versions. What this means is that nearly all of the add-ons currently available for a Umbraco, which were built to work with version 6.x, will not work in version 7 and above. Although this hasn't been explained very well (or really at all) on the Umbraco website, the CMS has just entered transition period where developers are going to have to re-write their add-on packages to work with the new version. As far as I know, there simply aren't any pre-built form packages that work with Umbraco v7 yet.

If you need to make a site now, I think your options are to either use a Umbraco version 6.11, which will support the legacy packages that make up almost all of Umbraco's add-on library, or to make a form on top of Umbraco v7 from scratch. If you can wait, though, I think you'd be better off doing that, because version 7 is going to be the one that gets support in the future, so it's not really a good time to build a v6.x site.

By the way, you shouldn't feel bad for missing this; Umbraco has really dropped the ball so far in communicating what is going on with the 7.0 update. There isn't even any way to search for packages that do work with version 7 yet. The good news is that, while it looks like we might have a rough transition period ahead of us, at least as far as add-ons go, what they've done in version 7 actually looks really good, so once things start to shape up with the add-ons, we will end up with a really great CMS.

Hope this helps,
    David Zweben

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Apr 05, 2014 @ 09:59
    Jonas Eriksson

I'm also looking at options to add a member Forum to an Umbraco 7 site. 

Currently on the list

YAF : large community, battle tested, WebForms and "old style" - integration instructions exists for u6 (but seems to be a bit tricky) for integrating within same application.

Steen Tottrup "MVC Forum" : https://mvcforum.codeplex.com/  

Lee Messenger & n3o "The MVC Forum": https://themvcforum.codeplex.com/

Both the "MVC Forum"s looks good with modern architecture, modern looks (Bootstrap) and features. Forum threads has info about integrating them with Umbraco - using separate applications + some tweaks to integrate the logins. I haven't found any information of a tighter integration with Umbraco yet = running in the same application and with Umbraco backend admin.

Lee Messenger is working with an MVC version of the nForum http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/nforum/general/47734-nForum_MVC

My next step will be to try integrate one or both of the MVC forums within an Umbraco application (forking the source).

• keilo 568 posts 1023 karma points
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 15:16
    keilo

Hi Jonas

I am in the same boat and few steps back. Have you concluded on a particular one? 

Do you mind sharing your findings ?

Cheers

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    Jul 22, 2014 @ 11:50
    Simon steed

How did you get on Jonas?

Jul 22, 2014 @ 18:02
    Jonas Eriksson

I postponed it for other parts of the project, I lean towards using MVC Forum since it is has most features the users is likely to demand + is mature. However I would prefer an integrated forum - so it might be http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/umf or nForum vNext, depending on when I go on with that part of the project and how much work is necessary to meet the demands (not clear specified yet).

Jul 22, 2014 @ 19:47
    Jonas Eriksson

Good news - progress on nForum vNext - aka "Dialogue" : https://t.co/HoybPUKvZM by Lee Messenger.

• keilo 568 posts 1023 karma points
    Jul 23, 2014 @ 20:36
    keilo

simply WOW! 

how one gets his hands on the alpha/beta of this?

• Jason LaBaw 17 posts 47 karma points
    May 18, 2015 @ 21:30
    Jason LaBaw

Has anyone finalized a solution for Forums on Umbraco 7?

THANKS LEE!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft