Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 12:48
    Ismail Mayat

Load balanced setup

Guys,

We are using umbraco 6.1.5 in load balanced setup so we have web01 (own server) and web02 (own server) the setup uses  shared database on separate server and we have load balancer that directs to traffic to them using url e.g mysite.  

The publishing etc works fine.  However during our testing we have discovered one issue and were wondering if we have missed something during the setup. So the test we performed was we turned off web02.  Then we hit the site and create and publish a page.  This page can be viewed when doing mysite/test.aspx and internally web01/test.aspx.  We then brought 02 back up so we then tried web02/test.aspx and no page found I would have thought when server is turned back on the xml cache will be regenerated using the database?  If not then is there something else we need to do for this to happen I read in the load balancing wiki something about umbracoContentXMLUseLocalTemp in the web.config this is by default set to false do we need to set that to true. The docs also state that the xml cache file should not be replicated which we are not doing however should the xml cache file then be on a network so that both servers have access to it?

Any ideas?

Regards

Ismail

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 12:58
    Dan Lister

Hi Ismail,

We use a SAN to store the Umbraco cache file and then create a virtual directory in IIS on both servers to point to the cache file on the SAN. This seems to work even when one web server is down. Hope this helps.

Dan.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 13:03
    Stefan Kip

You could also regenerate in code via ApplicationStarted?

Oct 31, 2013 @ 13:10
    Ismail Mayat

Dan,

I was thinking same thing. In fact we do this with media folder its a network share and media in iis is a virtual directory pointing to this share. So we could in web.config do

<add key="umbracoContentXML" value="~/media/umbraco.config" />

and get it to create it there so it will always pick up latest cache file.

kipusoep, that is another option i guess.

Regards

Ismail

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 13:11
    Dan Lister

Yeah that will work. Would you want to do it with the Examine Indexes too?

Oct 31, 2013 @ 13:50
    Ismail Mayat

Dan,

Good point however we are not doing anything with search although there is the internal indexer we should ideally share that as well.

Regards

Ismail

• Pushpendra Singh 61 posts 116 karma points
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 10:47
    Pushpendra Singh

Hi ismail,

right now my umbracoconfig in <addkey="umbracoContentXML"value="~/App_Data/Temp/umbraco.config"/>

if i change <addkey="umbracoContentXML"value="~/media/umbraco.config"/>

but media is synchronize in both server via Vice Versa pro file synchronization tool.so, in case i am publishing from one server in every changes it will replicate the file in another server is my assumption.

Please suggest me what is the best approach for umbracoconfig should updated on both the server either one of them is down as well.

Regards

Pushpendra singh

• Pushpendra Singh 61 posts 116 karma points
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 10:49
    Pushpendra Singh

Hi Ismail,

for  file replication everytime may may lock the process or file.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft