Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mitra 81 posts 196 karma points
    Oct 16, 2013 @ 18:30
    Mitra

Connecting to the SQL Server fails!

Hello,

I built a website with Umbraco with mysql database and everything worked perfectly. now i have to do the same thing but using SQL Server, but it's failing. I have tried 2,3 different version of Umbraco, but everytime, i get this error:

The Umbraco database is being configured. This process populates your chosen database with a blank Umbraco instance.

90%
    The database configuration failed with the following message: Login failed for user 'umbracouser'. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')
    I really don't know what else i can do. I have checked all the permissions and everything else that i could think of.
    can anyone help me please?
  • Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 16, 2013 @ 19:12
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mitra.

I will try to help you as much as I can. Maybe this is a long shot.

Buit have you tried set up the Umbraco site following this guide: http://www.franklinogsimonsen.dk/media/856/install_umbraco_4_on_windows_vista.pdf I know this is an old Umbraco 4 guide, but there is a chapter, how to configure the SQL Server and add logins and give the users the right credentials. The chapter about how to configure the the SQL server is starting at page 15.

Maybe this PDF can help you, find out why your login faild for the user umbracouser I hope so.

/Dennis

Oct 17, 2013 @ 12:02
    Mitra

Many many thanks Dennis,

It worked. I followed the pdf you sent me and the problem was the TCP/IP (number 6 in the pdf) had to be anabled.

I can connect to the SQL Server now. Now the bigger problem i have is my website's database was in Mysql (.sql) and i don't know how to convert it to .bak file or any other file that SQL server recongnise it.

Cheers,

Mitra

Oct 17, 2013 @ 12:37
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mitra,

I tried search the web for tools to convert a MySQL databse to a MSSQL database.

I found this maybe this tool can do the job for you. I haven´t try it myself.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28764 or you could try read this blog post http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/29106/Migrate-MySQL-to-Microsoft-SQL-Server.

I hope the tool and the blog post can help you with the migration from MySQL to MSSQL.

/Dennis

Oct 17, 2013 @ 13:41
    Mitra

Dennis, for the first promblem i had, (login to database was failing) the only thing i'vce done was enabling the TCP/IP as it was in the pdf you sent me and it worked: (number 6 under SQL Server Configuration Manager) - now i have to do this in the actual live server and there are some other websites.

do you know what exactyly this will do? I don't want to change this just in case it makes any problem for other live websites.

Oct 17, 2013 @ 13:51
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mitra,

I don´t know how you can do it on live server. I think at you should take contact to your hosting partner´s support and ask how you can configure the SQL server. But I think they have to do the configuration for you.

/Dennis

Oct 17, 2013 @ 13:57
    Mitra

It's infront of me, i can do this. I just don't know if it will make some problems for other live websites which are under this SQL server.

Oct 17, 2013 @ 13:59
    Mitra

It's infront of me, i can do this. I just don't know if it will make some problems for other live websites which are under this SQL server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft