Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 01:05
    skiltz

Umbraco Nodes + How Many is Too Many

I know this questions has been asked many times before but my searching isn't turning up to many revelvants results.

I'm currently scoping a project and I WANT to use Umbraco however I'm scared of too many nodes.

- Currently 3000 members (probably won't increase may fluctuate a little)

- Currently 8000 Records of 1 Document Type (will increase steadily over time )

Is this too many nodes?

If I'm a member / login and want to find my "records" what would be the best way to search the current 8000 records, is this going to be slow, will Umbraco handle this??

Thanks inadvance

• Masood Afzal 176 posts 522 karma points
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 01:11
    Masood Afzal

I don't think 8000 records are too many records as long as your code is efficient, depends how you manage your data.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 09:42
    Kim Andersen

You can have up to 50.000 total items/nodes in your Umbraco installation as far as I'm aware of. So this should not give you any problems :)

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 10:04
    Dirk De Grave

But, make sure you've got an excellent site structure. Handling 8000 nodes in a single node is really asking for trouble (unless you go with the 4.1 release that will better handle such load - altho 8000 is still way to many from a user perspective)

Searching should not be an issue either, as all nodes gets indexed using Lucene, so searching nodes in the backend is a rather unexpensive operation.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 11:59
    Douglas Robar

For reference, back in 2006 (umbraco 2.x), the following was the case (quote from Per):

"Umbraco has a upper limit on 200.000 nodes, which is 200.000 fully managed, chached, versioned, templated nodes"

I'm not sure if that number has changed or not. But even if it hasn't... you're in fine shape. I recently did a multilingual site with 7500 content nodes and it runs well on a very modest shared host server. This isn't a "big" site for umbraco at all. Though with any site you want to pay attention to architectural decisions that will make the site slow.

And Dirk is exactly right... be sure to break up your content tree into reasonable sections. Not only will the treeview be slow if you have to expand a couple thousand nodes at once (umbraco 4.1 will be much better at this), but even if performance weren't an issue, it is impossible for users to find the item they are looking for with so many nodes to scroll and search through.

cheers,
    doug.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 12:01
    Douglas Robar

Sorry, that quote from from 2008 (umbraco 3.x).

cheers,
    doug.

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Oct 24, 2009 @ 20:02
    Laurence Gillian

We have a site with 35,000+ member nodes, granted it is slow managing the members via the Umbraco interface. However its fairly easy to grow your own management tool for this level of users. 

In answer to your question Umbraco will be fine for your needs.

Lau

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft