Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Yeomans 3 posts 24 karma points
    Aug 12, 2013 @ 17:10
    Sean Yeomans

Inherited Problems

Please bear with me, we have an special case / problem that we have inherited through a new client.

Our client has a website that was built upon Umbraco; an apparently modified version that the origianl developer refuses to provide because it is 'their' code. So, we have an issue where the client is stuck trying to find another developer (us) to help make edits and bare-minimum changes until a new, fresh site can be built.

With that in mind, we have taken a copy of their current Umbraco 4.6.2 installation from their live site, along with a Database backup, and installed them locally on our dev server. This is obviously not an ideal situation, and errors are not a surprise, however i am unable to figure out what this error is telling me:
    (Any insight would be much apprciated)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument umbracoContent, String url) +3695
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1217
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +48
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1843

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18044

Request Details

Session Id: dnrs3jlqulqq42uzson2qwga Request Type: GET
    Time of Request: 8/12/2013 9:59:09 AM Status Code: 500
    Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)

Trace Information

CategoryMessageFrom First(s)From Last(s)
    aspx.page Begin PreInit    
    umbracoInit handling request 0.000062 0.000062
    request handler current url '' 0.000237 0.000175
    requestHandler Redirecting to domain: cpt.tsdev.net, nodeId: 4569 0.000371 0.000134
    umbracoRequestHandler xpath: ' | /root/* [@urlName = ""]' 0.000402 0.000031
    umbracoRequestHandler Just before xPath query (False, ' | /root/* [@urlName = ""]') 0.000416 0.000015
    umbracoRequestHandler pageXPathQueryStart: '/root' 0.000427 0.000011
    umbracoRequestHandler After xPath query 0.000464 0.000037
    umbracoRequestHandler Access checking started 0.000489 0.000024
    Unhandled Execution Error
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument umbracoContent, String url)
      at umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e)
      at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
      at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
      at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    0.000612 0.000123
  • Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Aug 13, 2013 @ 16:10
    Charles Afford

Can you get in to the back end of Umbraco?  Is it using XSLT or MVC?

If you can in to the backend umbraco it maybe worth just creating a node and trying to preview that to assert its a problem with XSLT or something else first :).  Charlie.

Aug 13, 2013 @ 16:25
    Sean Yeomans

yes I can 'get into' the back end, meaning it runs, although it too shows similar error messages at times.
    I clear my chache/cookies frequently, I don't believe it is related to cookies or sessions.

I am unsure if web.config is 'correct' per se, in that it is correct for the Production site. This is a live running 4.6.2 site without source code that we are adopting.

i should also be clear, we are new to Umbraco. I have successfully installed a fresh, current version on my local workstation, but that was through Web Platform Installer, which was about as easy as you can get. it didnt give me any insight on installing a compiled version :/

Imagine, if you will, downloading the site files through FTP, and setting up a copy of the DB on another SQL server  (internal network).

this is what I'm trying to do...

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Aug 13, 2013 @ 16:29
    Charles Afford

Can you tell me if you are using XSLT and what does the content tree look like?  Have you published all the node in the tree? (Right click on content then select publish)

Have you tried to preivew any nodes in the content section?  Does this work?

I am guessing that the content is not published so the xslt script you are running cannot find any XML. :)

Aug 13, 2013 @ 20:15
    Sean Yeomans

It turns out one for sure problem was the umbracoLogs table was MASSIVE and causing timeout errors in the CMS

these are no longer happening since truncating the table.

However, I am still having issues on the front end that seem to be pointing to... Courier? 

I don't know if even the client knows if they have Courier installed. it could be that we are using our own sub-domain for testing and it is not a 'registered' domain in Couriers licensing?

i don't know, still trying to understand all this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft